Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Homeowner purchaed several hundred sq ft of solid plank bamboo flooring to be installed over a plywood sub-floor. They have since moved to a home (ranch) with a cement slab approximately 11 years old and in good shape. They want the flooring glued to the slab as it obivously cannot be nailed.
Any advice on this installation.

Thanks

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Homeowner purchaed several hundred sq ft of solid plank bamboo flooring to be installed over a plywood sub-floor. They have since moved to a home (ranch) with a cement slab approximately 11 years old and in good shape. They want the flooring glued to the slab as it obivously cannot be nailed.
Any advice on this installation.

Thanks
Liquid nail bamboo floor adhesive. Home depot paint isle, third shelf from the top

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Bamboozle Bamboo Floor Adhesive.
"You ain't been stuck, till you've been Bamboozled.":thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Absolutely no to some of the above responses. For any kind of solids you MUST use a urethane based wood adhesive. Some Products suitable would be:
Roberts 1408
Bostick's Best
Dritac 7400

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Sarcasm. You may have heard of it....you can find it at the Home Depot Pro Desk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Haha, ok i feel better about you now :thumbsup: To thread creator, just make sure you get a urethane wood adhesive not an acrylic.

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts
I was trying to be nice! this way each person didn't know which one i was talking to!

Mikes first post...

Claims to be a General Home Improvements, when he should already know the answers to the question he asked. Obvious DIY question. There is a sister site for the DIYers

Gluing Bamboo to concrete is very very very risky... did I say very risky.

There is a lot more to it then slopping some urethane glue on the concrete and cutting boards.

I highly suggest he call the manufacturer of the bamboo flooring and get very specific installation requirements for this obviously DIY'er job. :shutup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, Mike will have to check with his specific Bamboo Manufacturer on the below grade issue. Most "solid" Bamboo is 5/8. & suitable for glue down installation." Bamboo is a very stable product & even solid bamboo is really an engineered product. As long as the manufacturer of his product gives the A-OK to glue down in a below grade application a good quality urethane wood adhesive will do the job.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Can you get this sarcasm you speak of on will call?
A big orange bucket of it is on hold for you as we speak :laughing:

Be sure to bring 3 forms of I.D. or hire two of the brown "contractors" out in the parking lot to pick it up for you.....they don't seem to need credentials :whistling

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hmm - Well I'd be falling into the category of DIY'er, but more knowledge then some of the hacks I've seen here so far- its inevitable...
True Hardwood + Cement = Issues
Engineered is def the way to go- but still can't say I believe in that product 100% here at my Orange corner of the world...
Wouldn't it be damn near guaranteed to be an issue just glueing this stuff down? Unless the Bostiks best (which in my store has actually been removed from stock-or is on clearance anywho) has some kind of vapor barrier like quality (which I'll be checking out the specs)...
Flat out don't like this idea...:no:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Solid Bamboo isn't like Solid Hardwood. That's why most manufacturer's will allow a glue down application of their product. Bamboo has extroardinary structural stability and the product is pressed and glued together in manufacturing. It's also only 5/8" thick rather than a full 3/4". You will have to check with the specific manufacturer but every manufacturer of bamboo that I display in the store is suitable for glue down using a urethane based wood adhesive. (bosticks best, dritac 7400, roberts-1408) You will have to also check with the manufacturer if they will warrant the floor below grade, that's my larger concern, not the glue down on concrete.

I did some research for you, the below grade is going to be an issue for the bamboo. If it was on grade slab, you would have gotten the A-OK. Look into USfloors they have some great bamboo products.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
^^ Something tells me a moisture test was not even thought of.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts