Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a solid hide stain that covers extremly well, be it oil or latex. I'm putting together a bid on a wood siding home, the siding isnt in the best of shape, and I want a premium stain to recoat. I will be brushing the entire thing. Good solid coverage is a must.

·
Banned
187 Posts
Tom Rohland

donb1959 said:
I need a solid hide stain that covers extremly well, be it oil or latex. I'm putting together a bid on a wood siding home, the siding isnt in the best of shape, and I want a premium stain to recoat. I will be brushing the entire thing. Good solid coverage is a must.
Donb1959,

I'm wondering since the siding isn't in the best of shape, are you considering a prime coat or perhaps two coats of stain?

Also, why not spray and then back roll and back brush?

I agree with Chippy and Trey. SW Woodscapes is top notch!

Tom Rohland
Ranger Painting & Pressure Cleaning, Inc.

PS Searching for an honest, dependable, knowledgeable, motivated person to take over my office duties.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ever tried Cabots soild oil? If you really want a good last and look go Solid Oil Cabots and then solid Latex Diamond Vogel solid stain (or cabots Oil and then Cabots Latex. The oil seals the deal and then the latex topcoat works well because it doesn't fade as quickly as the oil topcoat will.
I know some of you guys are going to state dont use the latex over the oil, but trust me it works. The overall clean look remains alot longer even in Stbt Springs, CO with 6 months of harsh snow and sun and then 6 months of straight sun.

My 2 cents worth,
Peter

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm wondering since the siding isn't in the best of shape, are you considering a prime coat or perhaps two coats of stain?
Almost 12K sq of siding, a sultan would have a tough time paying for two coats.

Also, why not spray and then back roll and back brush?
Very expensive greenery around perimeter of home. I estimate being able to spray maybe 25%.

Flood has a product with oil bonding and latex all in one stain, but only available in two colors.

Ever tried Cabots soild oil?
I've decided on Cabot ProV latex, very solid coverage, with great penetrating qualitys.

If you really want a good last and look go Solid Oil Cabots and then solid Latex Diamond Vogel solid stain (or cabots Oil and then Cabots Latex.
Again, a home this size would cost a fortune to two coat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Peace all

Hey Don,
SW woodscapes is a self-priming stain. How they do it, I have no idea. I used it to stain a 108 unit apartment complex, and it is top notch for soaking in and covering older wood.

Price is good too.

Peace

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just a thought if a customer can afford a home with 12,000 sq.ft. of siding ,seems they should also be able to afford a quality paint/stain job.????

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bergenbldr said:
Just a thought if a customer can afford a home with 12,000 sq.ft. of siding ,seems they should also be able to afford a quality paint/stain job.????
I bid the job at 10K in labor, almost 2K in matierials. I will still be able to afford them a quality job. I'm not sure where you're located, but I'm not sure how many in this metro area are willing to fork over 20K plus for a paint job.

·
Registered
378 Posts
donb1959 said:
I bid the job at 10K in labor, almost 2K in matierials. I will still be able to afford them a quality job. I'm not sure where you're located, but I'm not sure how many in this metro area are willing to fork over 20K plus for a paint job.
Just to put this job in perspective 12,000 sq. ft. of wrc clapboards would cost at least $50,000 just for the materials.This home huge.Is this home historic, painters that specialize in these homes charge big money here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
50,000 in materials, does the stain cost 500 dollars per gallon? My material cost is usally 15-20 percent of the overall job.

If your spending 50,000 dollars on materials X 5 that would be a 250,000 dollar job!!!

I'm working on a 44,000 dollar paint job for a new construction and both sides of the duplex are going for 1.2 million per side. That will be with about 7,500 dollars worth of stain, paint, primer and poly for the complete job.

My two cents worth,
Peter

·
Registered
378 Posts
jiriki87 said:
50,000 in materials, does the stain cost 500 dollars per gallon? My material cost is usally 15-20 percent of the overall job.

If your spending 50,000 dollars on materials X 5 that would be a 250,000 dollar job!!!

I'm working on a 44,000 dollar paint job for a new construction and both sides of the duplex are going for 1.2 million per side. That will be with about 7,500 dollars worth of stain, paint, primer and poly for the complete job.

My two cents worth,
Peter
sorry for being unclear ,iwas refering to how much it would cost to side a home that size with cedar clapboards. average home in our area runs 18 to 28 sqs, this home is 120 sqs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts