Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Solid groove bambo flooring

4K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  billgl 
#1 ·
As anyone ever floated solid groove bamboo flooring?
I know it's suppose to be glued or nailed but a client of mine wants it floating. (Bcuz of price and availability)

Wondering I anyone has done it and has had any issues.

#4 ·
i meant to say solid tongue and groove.
Most floating laminate floors have a locking groove, you put them together they click and they are set.

solid tongue and groove dont lock which is why the preferred installation for these is either nailed or glued

Attachments

#12 ·
The answer to your question is actually "yes". It can and has been done successfully. HOWEVER...and this is a huge however...you MUST follow manufacturer spec on this installation method, the subfloor has to be super flat, and you have to use the correct adhesive. Only certain bamboo manufacturers will say you can float their products. It does work and depending on where you are located in the country that will dictate how strictly you need to follow environmental requirements. If the house is too humid or too dry you can say goodbye to that floated floor.

#13 ·
Kenny B said:
The answer to your question is actually "yes". It can and has been done successfully. HOWEVER...and this is a huge however...you MUST follow manufacturer spec on this installation method, the subfloor has to be super flat, and you have to use the correct adhesive. Only certain bamboo manufacturers will say you can float their products. It does work and depending on where you are located in the country that will dictate how strictly you need to follow environmental requirements. If the house is too humid or too dry you can say goodbye to that floated floor.
Didn't know floating floors have adhesive. Wait wouldn't that be a glue down floor?

#14 ·
No, it wouldn't be glued down it would be glued together. Not a full spread installation. There are quite a few products that can be floated but are not a "locking" floor. The tongue and grooves are glued together and laid over a pad like a locking floating floor. Roberts makes a glue used for this method and I think bostick as well.

#21 ·
I've floated quite a few engineered floors that way actually. Glued t&g joint, over pad. A good quality 1/2" or 5/8" product works quite well. Never done it with bamboo though...

#23 ·
Yeah, we used to do some pretty big floating engineered tongue and groove installs for retail stores. You just tapped them together tight with glue in the grooves. Easy money really and there wasn't ever a problem that I heard of.

Never did a solid like that though.

I always wondered why they're going with the "click" BS instead of a glued tongue and groove. The standard tongue and groove seems like a much superior method than that crappy click gimmick made for DIY idiots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.