Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://youtu.be/dqM7ekLfSmA

I'm sure some of you have seen this before.

My question is:

Could they have done it any better, faster etc. with the technology of today? Pneumatic/Gas nailers...

Seems like they frame pretty quick and efficient with only a hammer and some good ole fashioned hard labor.

Great series on YouTube, wish they had more framing work on TV like this.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
the video isn't that old, he uses a nail gun in some of his videos. I think he uses a hammer just for demonstration. But I bet they could frame a house with a hammer just as fast as most guys could that use a nail gun.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
A good crew can hand nail a building together faster than an inefficent crew with guns. That being said, a crew that knows how to frame efficiently with guns will never be outframed by an efficient crew hand nailing. It's simply impossible to hand nail faster than with a gun.

Reactions: Deckhead and fatty

·
Do it right!
329 Posts
Does any one know when the videos were made? I'm guessing mid 1980s

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Does any one know when the videos were made? I'm guessing mid 1980s
Judging from the cars and trucks - early to mid 80's. Trtd mud sill and fiberglass sill insulation puts it in that era also. LOL plus he also spoke to wearing gloves when handling the treated lumber. 84-85 is when the arsenic scaries started with the treated lumber. ??lack of prolific usage of framing nailers and age of the impact he was using for the J bolt nuts??

Trip down memory lane. Most of the framers his age, back then, expected you to frame that way. Well at least the ones I worked with. So I must have been surrounded by legendary framers? ROTFL

Great stuff, ALL still is valid today. With some variations for materials.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think these videos were from the late 80's. I started framing in 84 and OSB came out (or became available) a few years after that.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
we watched all of his videos back in tradeschool when i started out

i though he was saying tube of six

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you don't know who Larry Haun is, Google him. And read his books. And frame like he frames. I had the pleasure of framing a H4H house with him. I thought I was hot sh$t, and in about 18 seconds, I realized just how far away I really was. Truly, the Carpenters Carpenter

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The one thing I still don't fully grasp from his videos is his method of laying out walls with that homemade spacer. I get that he changes layout to minimize stud usage, but doesn't that make it impossible to stack the roof on the studs? I usually don't worry too much about stacking, but I do think it makes for a clean looking frame.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The one thing I still don't fully grasp from his videos is his method of laying out walls with that homemade spacer. I get that he changes layout to minimize stud usage, but doesn't that make it impossible to stack the roof on the studs? I usually don't worry too much about stacking, but I do think it makes for a clean looking frame.
I think that's for cripples. But I haven't opened that book in over 20 years and not watched the videos.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
just started watching the floor vids and its great. and also step-by-step the exact way our crew works. only thing I don't like is how he explains that they don't lay out starting on 15 1\4" cause it "involves an extra step" of setting a nail. you don't have to set a nail, you just pull off the end and keep ALL of your marks 3\4" back just as you did with your first mark. doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
just started watching the floor vids and its great. and also step-by-step the exact way our crew works. only thing I don't like is how he explains that they don't lay out starting on 15 1\4" cause it "involves an extra step" of setting a nail. you don't have to set a nail, you just pull off the end and keep ALL of your marks 3\4" back just as you did with your first mark. doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

That's how I do it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts