Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my plumber cut a brass pipe which had a nipple at the end so it was thicker than the copper coupling. He sanded it down to make the copper fit and then soldered it. Did anyone ever hear of this and do i need to worry about it leaking?

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
:eek: j/k it will be fine, i hope, well i think, well you know i am just not sure anymore....:laughing:

:thumbsup:

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
my plumber cut a brass pipe which had a nipple at the end so it was thicker than the copper coupling. He sanded it down to make the copper fit and then soldered it. Did anyone ever hear of this and do i need to worry about it leaking?
It is fine, if it didn't leak when he pressurized the system, it most likely will never leak.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
What is this valve made of ?

You'll probably find a dozen or so joints sweated between copper and brass in your home.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
They are Join freindly because of the amount of copper content in brass. Some people have problems getting the solder to take when mixing metals but it's because of over heating the copper as the brass takes a little longer to heat up than the copper. But if he's a proper plumber it will be fine.

·
Registered
563 Posts
What is this valve made of ?

You'll probably find a dozen or so joints sweated between copper and brass in your home.

Ooo, ooo, I know! Brass! and maybe some steel there...with a vinyl coating...and perhaps a SS ball inside and... :clap:

·
Registered
7 Posts
thats hack! the codes states the use of approved fittings sanding and modifying a brass nipple and soldering a coupling to it is not approved sure it works but is just wrong he could have sweated on some fip adapters and threaded to the brass nipple.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I was told by a building inspector once that i couldn't use brass olives on compression fittings. He didn't have a reason as to why so i had to explain to him why i didn't use brass olives anyway and swapped them out for copper. The idiot didn't even know the reason why you wernt meant to use brass. Some of these codes are just stupid.

·
Registered
618 Posts
hey plumbworker, good to see another plumber from the city (s.f.). SF DBI sucks....

I also do plumb/elec/fire protection. We are a small community here.. Mazzy's sucks. bunch of hacks.

·
Registered
618 Posts
moraga? thats near orinda right? the dept does blow:laughing:
Yup Moraga near Orinda but I own multiple residential apartment bldgs in the city. I work in the city too and some inspectors seem to have a strong preference for particular fire protection firms to have "no hassle" inspections. I deal with DBI often enough and they are a bunch of bottom feeding homosexual blowers.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
whats a olive? you mean ferrule?

Nope i mean olive. You normally get them with brass olive but they have to be strangled so much that you cant ever get them of the pipe and they can be over tightened. I just change them all out with copper and never have the issues involved with brass versions. Most good quality fittings will come with a copper olive for this exact reason. But some of thr cheaper ones just bundle brass.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
I've never heard that item referred to as an "olive"...only as a ferrule

1 - 20 of 21 Posts