Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I stopped by the home of an old friend, a very nice woman who would like me to do some remodelling on her home to get it in shape for sale. One of the things we were looking at was replacing the flooring and such in the lower level of her bi-level home.

In one closet she asked me about this behemoth I have never seen before, called a solar water heater. The house was built in '64 and from the looks of this thing its been in the place for 20-30 years as its corroding like crazy around the base. I know nothing about this sort of thing, but told her I would look into it for her as she has an inherent fear of contractors...LOL

She is reluctant to just call a plumber because as she says, "Im afraid they will come out and go...oooh, blonde chick, take her to the cleaners!" I dont want to deal with it and know a few local guys I would call to do anything to it. My big question would be should I recommend that she just has it removed altogether or replaced if they even do that anymore, etc and so on.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Longacre said:
Yesterday I stopped by the home of an old friend, a very nice woman who would like me to do some remodelling on her home to get it in shape for sale. One of the things we were looking at was replacing the flooring and such in the lower level of her bi-level home.

In one closet she asked me about this behemoth I have never seen before, called a solar water heater. The house was built in '64 and from the looks of this thing its been in the place for 20-30 years as its corroding like crazy around the base. I know nothing about this sort of thing, but told her I would look into it for her as she has an inherent fear of contractors...LOL

She is reluctant to just call a plumber because as she says, "Im afraid they will come out and go...oooh, blonde chick, take her to the cleaners!" I dont want to deal with it and know a few local guys I would call to do anything to it. My big question would be should I recommend that she just has it removed altogether or replaced if they even do that anymore, etc and so on.

If it is still working and not leaking, why touch it? It might be stone lined if it has been around that long. If she is selling the house just clean it up cosmetically(paint).

Recommending replacement or removal that really is not necessary, in my opinion would make you guilty of taking her to the cleaners long before the evil plumber steps foot in the door! I have never known a GC or contractor not to make a percentage on my bid! So, my bids are never true to the customer!

I've never taken a "blonde to the cleaners" now the drive-in is a different story! :cheesygri

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
To the 'Drive-In'??, - - you're dating yourself :cheesygri

Boy, do I miss those old Drive-In's, - - once I even watched the movie :cheesygri

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it is stone lined if that makes a difference, if she still has hot water I would assume its working. Her primary concern is that the corrosion on the welds near the bottom of the thing has already stained the ancient linoleum under it, and well since Im sure its too heavy to lift to put a new floor under it, looks like that closet gets to retain its original ugly flooring...lol.

Its got one of those metallic blue kind of finishes, perhaps if I clean up the rust spots I can find some atuomotive touch up paint or something to clean up the looks of the thing somewhat.

Since this is some weekend cashwork being done for nice fresh green Benjamins, whatever the plumber would cost her would be between her and the plumber. When it comes to plumbing more intricate than installing a sink, tub, or toilet in a "buddy job" remodel, I call in the pros. If it doesnt need to be pulled or replaced, that will save her some money and as a friend, its my place to look out for her intrests as best I can.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Tom R said:
To the 'Drive-In'??, - - you're dating yourself :cheesygri

You lost me on this one!

The good old drive-in, clip the speaker on the window. Then when things got advanced you could find the sound on you're radio.The best part was the food :rolleyes: good thing they didn't check cholesterol back then.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Longacre said:
Yeah, it is stone lined if that makes a difference, if she still has hot water I would assume its working.

The heater has been there for "20-30 years" because it is stone lined. Yeah, I think that would be the "difference" and I think I'll go along with you're assumption too!! :Thumbs:

·
Registered
438 Posts
What I would do first is to make sure that the solar side of the heater is working, if its not then??

I have seen quite a few of these heaters that serve no use do to failure of the solar side not working at all.

Now if you are going to have to live with a 120 gallon electric hot water heater working only on electric thats 20 years old, my though would be why not up grade to something a little smaller?

BJD

·
Registered
295 Posts
Bjd said:
What I would do first is to make sure that the solar side of the heater is working, if its not then??

I have seen quite a few of these heaters that serve no use do to failure of the solar side not working at all.

Now if you are going to have to live with a 120 gallon electric hot water heater working only on electric thats 20 years old, my though would be why not up grade to something a little smaller?

BJD
You are absolutely correct! I guess it comes down to budget and how involved they want to get before selling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts