Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've begun the exhausting search for software and would like some opinions from the trenches.

This is what I'm looking for (in a perfect world):
-Take Offs/Material Lists/Cut Lists
-Full Accounting Functions (A/R, A/P, Job Costing, Asset Tracking, Inventory, Reporting,etc.)
-Invoicing/Quotes
-Ties into bank accounts
-CRM
-Time Tracking/Payroll
-Ability to have more than 1 company and personal bills, etc.

Ideally, this is what I'd like to be able to do---draw a deck, get the take off, load it into the quote for material pricing, figure labor and add it into the quote, send the quote to the customer......

I bought QuickBooks Pro last year, and even with some Accounting in my background, never got past setting up part of the COA. I think the intimidation is all in my head, but as mentioned above, there are a few more things I'd like to be able to do.

We are a small GC who does more than some of the specialized software I've seen. We build decks, room additions, garages, sheds, do roofing and siding replacement and window and door replacement. Occasionally we do other things, but these are our core services.

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. As far as a budget, I don't have one in mind, but free would be my first choice. :) The software package that does most, if not all, of what we need would be the winner.

Thank you in advance for your ideas!

·
90%-er
1,437 Posts
We use Quickbooks for all of those functions, except drawing out projects. That we do in separate software, then send out as PDF files.

I think a lot of people are overwhelmed by Quickbooks because it does a LOT of stuff, but you really don't have to learn the entire thing to make use of the parts that you need. It isn't perfect, but it is quite efficient at tracking who gets billed for what, how many hours have been spent on a job, when and what did I quote so and so two years ago, etc. Plus, it's so popular that the Internet is absolutely full of people who are willing to help or have had the same problem as you and already solved it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts