Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some strict structured wiring work and want to ensure some level of compliance with TIA/EIA 568-B Standards as well as ensuring the lines are fully up to speed compliance. I am to assume that there is no windows/linux or otherwise based software that can produce tests that fluke testers can perform?

If such software would exist, again I would assume certain chip sets would do better than others (ie; atheros vs intel for packet injection testing and network security).

I would prefer to pick up a netbook for less than $500 than a fluke tester which can push as high as $6000. Also since I require only Ethernet level tests, I can avoid fiber altogether right now.

Thanks for any ideas! I can wire it right, but verification for client is the way to go..

--Phil

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Are you trying to certify that your wiring and terminations are up to speed or is it your network hardware your concerned about?

I think what your looking for is a validator, Test-Ums (now JDSU) makes one for less than 1500 bucks. You can hook it up to your computer and print out all the results so when the guy hooking up the equipment goes to point fingers you have proof that its not your wireing.

I do not know of any validator software/hardwear that would be less expensive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you need to provide certification reports for warranty, then you will need a certifier that is accepted by the wiring systems manufacturer. Use the manufacturers requirement as your guide, since the certification will be worthless without their approval.

There are 3 main categories for data wiring test gear.
1) Qualifiers, low end devices which test for continuity, correct pairs, etc.
2) Validators, mid range devices which also test for errors and can include data tests.
3) Certifiers, high end devices which actually test the wire with data for errors, skew, crosstalk, etc.

Fluke's cable IQ, JDSU's Validator, etc are nice validators but are not usually accepted as certifiers.
Aligent's Wirescope 350, Fluke Network Pro, etc are considered full certification tools and accepted by most, if not all manufacturers. I've had a Wirescope for years and it does a great job on commercial certification testing. Fluke's CableIQ is a better meter for everyday wiring when you don't need to certify.

·
Synacom
61 Posts
Ethernet Testing

Phil,

TIA/EIA standards are primarily electrical characteristics of the cable run being tested. I have seen (free) software that will measure packet loss (a simple ping will do this) or show what devices are on a network but nothing that will give you measurements.

I use a continuity tester, a Test-Um Validator and a Fluke DTX-1800. Each one has its place but the test equipment you use really depends on what the customer requires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts