Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ampman
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have about 23,000 sq ft. i want to be grass was getting quotes on sod and somebody suggested hydroseeding any pros and cons for both by the way i know nothing about growing anything i have a black thumb

·
Sean
5,519 Posts
Both require the same amount of prep
Sod is more expensive to put in
Sod gives you instant satisfaction
Both require plenty of watering - hydro seeding probably more
Hydro seeding when it starts growing will completely fill in the area (no lines at seams that need to grow together like sod)
You can customize the hydro seeding mix, unlike a sod farm which already has its specific mix
Both help prevent erosion

That's my quick list of pros & cons

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
A good friend of mine came from a family that owned a sod farm. I recall him saying that hydroseeding is more expensive yet less labour and has a higher chance of rooting properly.

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
Sounds like your friend was trying to sell sod. Hydro can be done for pennies on the dollar vs. sod. And that's being generous.

On an area that big, I would go hydro.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Use good top soil, (1/2" minus, nice and loose, no clay), and make sure you or the customer soaks it good and go hydro. Presentable turf will be there in a month.:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,808 Posts
Make sure there are no flash floods or heavy rains in the forecast for the day of and a few days after. I have seen guys get the lots hydro seeded and have it washed away that night. Big loss.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Sounds like your friend was trying to sell sod. Hydro can be done for pennies on the dollar vs. sod. And that's being generous.

On an area that big, I would go hydro.
Agree......

Had a reno a couple of years ago. The yard was completely scraped. The owner was contacting landscape and sod guys I think .50 - 1.00 sq ft. I recommended hydro. .15 sq ft.

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
Agree......

Had a reno a couple of years ago. The yard was completely scraped. The owner was contacting landscape and sod guys I think .50 - 1.00 sq ft. I recommended hydro. .15 sq ft.
Wow...we have something cheaper than the mainland...Hydro-10 cents a sq. ft.

Sod, on the other hand...3-7 bucks a sq.ft. depending on what you want, and that does not include install. That's just the sod.

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
I would recommend going the hydro method. The last yard I had Hydroseeded they used a system called fas grass. Basically they soaked the seed in warm water for 6 days before seeding my lawn. grass germinates in 7 days. 2 days after they hydroseeded I had grass growing.
They also set up a temporary sprinkler system that watered automatically and left it there for about a month until the grass was established. very cool and cost less than a 1/4 of sod.

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
Depending on the grass you want, you may even be able to get stolons. May cost a little more than seed and much faster to establish, but still far less expensive than sod. Seashore Paspallum is popular here because of the salt tolerance. Going with stolons you can also treat with herbicides a lot earlier than with seed.

·
ampman
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Make sure there are no flash floods or heavy rains in the forecast for the day of and a few days after. I have seen guys get the lots hydro seeded and have it washed away that night. Big loss.
here latley we have had nothing but flash floods thanks for the info

·
ampman
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Depending on the grass you want, you may even be able to get stolons. May cost a little more than seed and much faster to establish, but still far less expensive than sod. Seashore Paspallum is popular here because of the salt tolerance. Going with stolons you can also treat with herbicides a lot earlier than with seed.
what are stolons??

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
Grass cuttings, basically. Some types of grass grow by sending out runners. The stolon is like a stem. It runs along the surface, and at the nodes it will root and send up leaves/blades. The stolons are scatters over the surface and then hydromulch sprayed on top.

Watering in the beginning is as if you seeded. It's not as thick as sod, but you are putting mature grass down.

St. Augustine stolon:

·
ampman
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chainsaw thanks for the info but i think i'am going to sod next to house and then h/s out away from house we have hade a lot of rain in the last week (15 in.) and its still raining now

·
ampman
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just for an update we have hade 20 + inches of rain but still holding up good

·
Registered
97 Posts
A guy asked for a SODing quote on 5,100 sqft. I submitted a price to him and he told me he had a guy who said he could do the whole thing for....get this.............

$183.00

I told him to go for it, just don't pay him first!! :w00t:

·
Youngster
493 Posts
Not trying to bag on hydro-seeding, but there is more to it than just the price. Actually trying to get my HOA to allow me to HS right now, but there are serious drawbacks here.

With sod, soil is prepped and sod is down the same day usually. Weeds are immediately smothered out. Not the case with HS. Soil is prepped and then the landscapers create a perfect growing environment for weeds. Here in the mountains, we have different weeds going to seed all summer long. The weeds like dandelions sprout up much faster than the grasses, and next thing you know, you've got 50% weeds and 50% grass. The first year with HS requires pretty intense maintenance, but after that you get a better lawn.

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
A guy asked for a SODing quote on 5,100 sqft. I submitted a price to him and he told me he had a guy who said he could do the whole thing for....get this.............

$183.00

I told him to go for it, just don't pay him first!! :w00t:
That would hardly even cover the cost of seed.

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
Not trying to bag on hydro-seeding, but there is more to it than just the price. Actually trying to get my HOA to allow me to HS right now, but there are serious drawbacks here.

With sod, soil is prepped and sod is down the same day usually. Weeds are immediately smothered out. Not the case with HS. Soil is prepped and then the landscapers create a perfect growing environment for weeds. Here in the mountains, we have different weeds going to seed all summer long. The weeds like dandelions sprout up much faster than the grasses, and next thing you know, you've got 50% weeds and 50% grass. The first year with HS requires pretty intense maintenance, but after that you get a better lawn.

That's why I prefer to use stolons and hydromulch. You can make use preemergents.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts