Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some serious hiking this year and bought a decent pair of trail shoes. The guy at Eastern Mountain Sports just about insisted I buy a pair of fine wool socks, he guaranteed me I would never go back. He was 100% correct. I went on a 9 mile hike in NH today and my feet were cool and pretty much zero sweat. I could probably wear them tomorrow, they shrugged off what I tortured them with.

The company is called Darn Tough out of Vermont. $20/pair is just hard to agree to, but this company has an unconditional lifetime guarantee. If you don't feel guilty about it, you could buy 5 pairs and it would last you for the rest of your life. It's the Festool of socks :laughing: I'm sure there are other companies that do as nice a job, but they weren't in the store.

It's pretty awesome if I come here to brag about damn socks, so go find a pair or two and don't look back.

http://www.darntough.com/index.html

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,802 Posts
Thanks Kent. The unconditional lifetime guarantee is a major selling point. I usually wear merino wool socks in winter and always warm feet at work and in the tree stand. They're fairly thick and are too hot for my feet in summer.

·
Box Builder
6,306 Posts
Just started wearing darn toughs too. They are nice. I've been wearing smart wool for awhile, but the darn toughs are nicer. I'm a little OCD with my socks.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
I just did a nice hike at 6 am this morning in upstate NY..

More like mountain climbing.. we took the "scenic trail"

Boy whatta view.. bout 1300' in elevation

ForumRunner_20130630_164225.jpg

Today i wore running shoes and experia socks..

They were fine but i do need to invest in some trail shoes..

Not a fan of smartwool btw.. seems like my feet get sweaty...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Thanks Kent. The unconditional lifetime guarantee is a major selling point. I usually wear merino wool socks in winter and always warm feet at work and in the tree stand. They're fairly thick and are too hot for my feet in summer.
I don't think I could work in the N.Y. Catskill Mnts. in the winter without my merino wool socks . :thumbsup:

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just did a nice hike at 6 am this morning in upstate NY..

More like mountain climbing.. we took the "scenic trail"

Boy whatta view.. bout 1300' in elevation

View attachment 94721

Today i wore running shoes and experia socks..

They were fine but i do need to invest in some trail shoes..

Not a fan of smartwool btw.. seems like my feet get sweaty...
I was somewhat close to you. I was in Franconia Notch heading up Mt. Lafayette. Almost a mile above sea level. According to My Tracks, it was a 3971 ft elevation gain. Took me 6 hours round trip to do 8.25 miles. A very heavy used mountain. Lots of people.

Attachments

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Wow, what a view!

·
632 Posts
A good pair of socks definitely makes a difference on a long day. I started asking for fox river socks for Christmas so I would quit getting those, um, other really nice presents. But no one believes that is what I would really like to have.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Do you do two layers with those socks. I wear two pair of socks year round in the summer it is two cotton socks in winter it is a cotton and wool layers

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
I threw away my cotton socks years ago. I wear mostly merino wool and some synthetic socks year round. I have some smart wool, lorpin, fox river, and some Carhartt coolmax.

I have a couple real thin wool socks, when I wear those, I usually wear them with a thin synthetic liner sock. That combination works real good.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
since its allways summer here I want to hear what are your best recomedations for summer socks.
I have allways thought Wool would be too warm
Thanks

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I only ever wear wool on my feet, for work and hiking/hunting I wear what we call a "Farm Fleck" which is a heavy wool sock in oatmeal wool color, just about every tradesman wears them or a modern day nylon wool hybrid then I also wear a finer thin wool merino dress sock, keeps my feet cool in summer and warm in winter. Wool can also absorb %30 of its weight in moisture before it feels damp to the touch so its a no brainer for wearing on your feet. I also wear a swannies to work, its treated wool which breaths and keeps you warm even when its wet. http://www.swanndri.co.nz/Mens/Bushshirts/SSD0107/Ranger-100-Wool-Shirt.html

http://www.swanndri.co.nz/Mens/Bushshirts/SSD0116/Mosgiel-100-Wool-Bushshirt.html

http://au.icebreaker.com/Mens/mens,en_AU,sc.html
I'm a kiwi, I know a lot about wool :laughing: I used to have some merino wool undies but they didn't last too long before getting holes from thorns and rocks while I was hunting.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I was sold on the wool also. Went into the local REI and they recommended them to me, it was a hard sell on for 17 bucks. Wore them one day and I'm sold, I hate putting anything else on.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks Kent.......just ordered a pair.......I always wear wool.....workin & wading the tail waters of Tennessee.

Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts