Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My web guy emailed me about social bookmarking and SEO. I've researched it and still really don't know what it is and how it helps with SEO. I signed up for one and bookmarked some sites that are useful to me and construction but it asked me where I want to send it to. Why would I want to send my bookmark to anyone? I guess I'm lost. Can anyone help with a contractors explanation of social bookmarking?

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
Social bookmarking and sharing means just that. Helping your fellow man when you find useful info on the web . You gather all this info, and "share" with folks the info you gathered that they may find useful, in the form of a bookmark.

It helps with SEO in the form of backlinks that the folks you shared with -- hopefully they will share with their friends, then their friends will share with more friends -- and soon you will have all of these links pointing back to your website.

The key here is finding the most relevant, useful information you can find and share. I'll share some sh** with you:
Ant Colony Optimization
Free Seo For Your Website, Paulie;)
Best Methods Of Website Linking
http://websitegrader.com/site/www.diyinahour.comWebsite Grader
Web Marketing

By the way, all of these links are free info!

See? I posted some of my most useful bookmarks for you to check out. Without asking, If this stuff is useful to you, you might link to my website from your website. If your page rank is high, google will see this as a "vote" and the more "votes" I get, the more Google is willing to post my site on the first page of search results for a particular keyword.

Good Luck.:thumbsup:

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
OK, thanks a bunch for the info, I appreciate it! :notworthy

BUT... who do I send it to? My sister in NC, my competition, a guy I know from high school? :blink:
What you are trying to do is create an online presence. Let everyone know what you do and how you do it. Get new customers and educate old customers.

By signing up for linkedin, facebook, or whatever, ask complete strangers to be your friends on these social sites. Don't sale to them, just be cool. And send them links to useful stuff in the beginning. The key is to think about what they find useful; not what you like or may find useful.

After them agreeing to be your friend, read their profile. Find out what they like. Even if it doesn't have to do with construction. Then send them a useful link every now and then with small talk(related to their profile). This could be a funny youtube video, or something. How do you find friends willing to be yours? Look for the newbees with 1-20 friends. Better yet from your home State.

The key to Social marketing is not to sell to people. Just build up a friendship first -- gain trust and respect --- then sale your product to them later on.

Remember: Its about other folks and their interests on the social sites, not what you can sale to them.

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What you are trying to do is create an online presence. Let everyone know what you do and how you do it. Get new customers and educate old customers.

By signing up for linkedin, facebook, or whatever, ask complete strangers to be your friends on these social sites. Don't sale to them, just be cool. And send them links to useful stuff in the beginning. The key is to think about what they find useful; not what you like or may find useful.

So I send them links to useful stuff; OK but doesn't it have to with construction to gain SEO on my construction website? Does a link about a cat doing the chow chow chow help me?

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
Well, marketing on the social sites is a lot of work. It is call a "social site" for a reason. You might have to do a lot of typing and research in the beginning just to gain a customer on the tail end.

So yes! if the person's profile says "I love cats", and you view them as a potential client, then send them some chow chow chow bulls***, just to become cool with them, them getting to know you, them trusting you over time, then, you plug yer sh** or whatever you are selling. It works. But it takes a lot of work.

Also, If you are an interesting fellow, post a link to your site in your posts and they may check it out.

One more point. You could cut to the chase by joining a niche group with others with common interests. Its a bit easier that way.

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, marketing on the social sites is a lot of work. It is call a "social site" for a reason. You might have to do a lot of typing and research in the beginning just to gain a customer on the tail end.

So yes! if the person's profile says "I love cats", and you view them as a potential client, then send them some chow chow chow bulls***, just to become cool with them, them getting to know you, them trusting you over time, then, you plug yer sh** or whatever you are selling. It works. But it takes a lot of work.

Also, If you are an interesting fellow, post a link to your site in your posts and they may check it out.

One more point. You could cut to the chase by joining a niche group with others with common interests. Its a bit easier that way.
Thanks a bunch, you the man. It's clear as mud now. :laughing:

But really I do understand what is going on now with the social bookmarking thing thanks to you.

·
www.magicpoolservices.com
831 Posts
We use Social Media to help brand our company and our services.

We set up a Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Orlando-FL/Magic-Pool-Services/116121093133

Twitter
http://twitter.com/MagicPoolSvcs

MySpace
http://www.myspace.com/magicpoolservices

LinkedIn
http://www.linkedin.com/myprofile?trk=hb_tab_pro

and YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/user/MagicPoolServices

Slowly building a following, but our name is getting out there and our site is very well ranked for organic searches. It WORKS :clap:

·
Banned
46 Posts
SocialBookmarking Tricks and Sites

As far as bookmarking goes, it is a good way to stay organized and attempt to generate traffic to your site.

• Let's you organize your favorite sites (that you can later reference) in one, easy-to-use platform.
  • Social Bookmarking sites have a large following, so, if you bookmark 3-4 articles/posts/videos a day, people will start to notice you, and in turn, check out some of your bookmarks.
  • We use, as a rule of thumb, every 8th article bookmarked, I bookmark one of our articles or blog posts, either from our site or one of the distribution sites. You must be careful not to bookmark your stuff too often or Google will think your a spammer.
After A LOT of research, here are some of the sites I recommend:

• Delicious
  • Digg (high conversion rate)
  • Mixx
  • StumbleUpon
Most of these sites also allow you to put tool bars up on your Internet browser (hopefully you are using Firefox) to make it easy, and fast, to ping an article and then move on.

If you have any questions, shoot me an email at [email protected] or send me a message :thumbsup:

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as bookmarking goes, it is a good way to stay organized and attempt to generate traffic to your site.

• Let's you organize your favorite sites (that you can later reference) in one, easy-to-use platform.
  • Social Bookmarking sites have a large following, so, if you bookmark 3-4 articles/posts/videos a day, people will start to notice you, and in turn, check out some of your bookmarks.
  • We use, as a rule of thumb, every 8th article bookmarked, I bookmark one of our articles or blog posts, either from our site or one of the distribution sites. You must be careful not to bookmark your stuff too often or Google will think your a spammer.
After A LOT of research, here are some of the sites I recommend:

• Delicious
  • Digg (high conversion rate)
  • Mixx
  • StumbleUpon
Most of these sites also allow you to put tool bars up on your Internet browser (hopefully you are using Firefox) to make it easy, and fast, to ping an article and then move on.

If you have any questions, shoot me an email at [email protected] or send me a message :thumbsup:
You've got to be kidding, I can't write 2-3 articles in a month. :eek:

·
Banned
46 Posts
You've got to be kidding, I can't write 2-3 articles in a month. :eek:

Ok, let's back up a little here.

SocialBookmarking works by bookmarking other peoples articles, posts, pages, videos, etc. about your industry. After you bookmark around 5-8 other sites, articles, etc. that aren't your own, you should bookmark your own site, or an individual page on your site.

The idea is to get people to see your bookmarks, and look at the material you think is valuable on the Internet. By placing something pointing toward you, or your business, on your bookmarks, people will start visiting these links. The more people who visit them, the higher visibility your page will receive on the social bookmarking site, causing more people to visit.

Does this make sense?

Here is a post that might make a little more sense out of it:
http://www.gennextmedia.com/bookmarking-for-social-media-marketing/

·
Banned
46 Posts
And by the way Mr. Paulie, you absolutely could write 2-3 articles a month! You could write anything about construction or remodeling! Your site looks good and has lots of info. I see contractors writing about everything from materials to marketing with testimonials. Your industry knowledge looks like it would be enough to write more than 2-3 articles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Social bookmarking are these three sites

Reddit.com
Stumbleupon.com
Digg.com

I have strong accounts on all of these especially Reddit and can get very good traffic and links from stories that I post there. That's all it is it is, this is not calculus. No big mystery, more smoke and mirrors.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts