Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Haha, yea i am guilty of that as well. I was using my 2' one time and couldn't find it the next day....sure enough i went back the the job a couple of weeks later and it was sitting in the gutter right where i left it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,222 Posts
I'm sure I have a few in gutters as well. For some reason I can't find one single small level lately.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Radical Basement Dweller
17,729 Posts
I spent all day yesterday wondering just where the hell my 4' level was, not in the truck....couldn't find it anywhere on the jobsite.

Looking at a pic I took last night and there it is....on the damn roof. Lol
It gets worse as you get older.

I have a 6' piece of conduit with a handle and an L shaped hook on it I use to "get" stuff from the front of the pickup bed. It has a cap and climbing in and out all the time is a pain.

I used it last week to move a piece of loose siding so I get get my ladder in place.

Couldn't find it later to save my life.

Talked with the customer a week later...

"Did you leave some sort of pole here when you repaired the siding"?

Ahhhh....yup.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know, I am honestly way to fussy to be doing a lot of vinyl. Too much wiggle room built in...drives me bat****

·
Registered
110 Posts
I found a torpedo level in the walls of a bathroom I demoed years ago. I still have it, too ��

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

3 months back .

so , I had sent my 2 guys to do some demo in a condo in an expensive area ( Miami)
walls , kitchen cabinets , etc.

3 days letter , Mark says " hey! I forgot to tell you!!
you know when we were doing that demo job?
Juan removed a cabinet . it had a hidden compartment in the back of it .
he opened it up , and a found a bag of white powder the size of a grapefruit in there .
I didn`t see him find it , but he came up to me and the owner and gave it to him ,and said he found this."

if it was what we all thought it was , that was about $15,000 worth of it ( looked it up)

sheesh!!

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Yeah, I start at the bottom with a level, then the rest of the way is all based on measurements to the top. Sometimes it feels like I'm making a Japanese fan. :laughing:
Thanks for posting that Tin. Just what I was going to say too.

New or remodel, gotta fudge things, because it's got to look good. The siding doesn't care if it's level - its what the eye sees standing back - like seeing the piece go from 5" to 3.5" over the top of a window.

Now THAT looks hack.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,128 Posts
Thanks for posting that Tin. Just what I was going to say too.

New or remodel, gotta fudge things, because it's got to look good. The siding doesn't care if it's level - its what the eye sees standing back - like seeing the piece go from 5" to 3.5" over the top of a window.

Now THAT looks hack.
But it is level.:laughing: Lots of guys don't understand that a level is just a starting guide when siding . Seen guys side with a laser, transit, in the real world that does not always pan out. Lots of times it is knowing where and how to fudge things to make it look right to the eye.

·
House surgeon
2,389 Posts
But it is level.:laughing: Lots of guys don't understand that a level is just a starting guide when siding . Seen guys side with a laser, transit, in the real world that does not always pan out. Lots of times it is knowing where and how to fudge things to make it look right to the eye.
I use a rotary to match the bottom all the way around then put it away

1 - 20 of 41 Posts