Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Defeated.

I'd end the story there, but there is no way I'm going to say I'm "Defeated" without telling the story.

It all starts last week, at work of course. I'm putting together some forms, nailing away when one of the nails deflects up and smacks me straight in the eye, I end up going to the ER getting more tests than a lab rat, and finally going home 5 hours later with the great news that everything is going to be alright.

I end up taking the remaining 2 days off. Giving me a long a weekend, witch some of you i know would die for, was great a little blurry but it wasn't from the booze sadly :( .

Go back to work Monday, my first day back after the eye injury people are looking at me funny giving me hell for not wearing my safety glasses (Witch i deserved mind you).

My eye is still blurry as hell, and the first thing i have to do, is beat over a piece of rebar that is sticking out to far. The very first swing of the day, ends up missing the rebar completely and straining the hell out of my elbow. It was nothing serious just really hurt for about an hour, took it pretty easy after that because, I relaized rather quickly that its going to take some "Getting used to."

So Monday came and went, other than the 1st swing of my hammer missing and nearly throwing my elbow out, it was a pretty slow day.

Now today, I feel like a million bucks ready to go at her. Get to work early, start'er up, and i already know what i have to do for the hole day. Brace and Straighten up a 150 foot form.

So i get the form ready for bracing, after that i put the line and feeler on the form. Pulled the line nice and tight, made sure it wasn't touching nothing, doubled checked that it wasn't touching anything in the form, its touching nothing at all. Giddy up, lets brace this *****.

I got all my braces pre-cut, ready to rock and roll. I knock off 3/4 of complete form by lunch. After lunch the super comes by, we take a walk along the form, everything looks great, until we get to the very end....The GOD DAMN LINE CAME OFF THE FEELER BLOCK! it was out a quater inch, i couldn't believe i didn't pick up on it! MAN! all that work for nothing. Had to take it all apart, was i ever PISSED OFF!!

Luckly i was able to savalage all the braces, and start all over again. With a fire under my ass now, i'm moving pretty quick. I start off again, and before I'm even 10 minutes in, i hit the line with my hammer and break the line.

I go over to the tool box no dry lines left, no big deal, i have one in my truck. "Oh wait, my truck is at the shop today!" Luckly i was able to salvage one from a buddy.

I start it all over AGAIN, now im just quite frankly "****ING FURIOUS!" ....inside if cource ;).

"Lets do it agian" i say. So i start all over again for the 3rd time. I get maybe a 1/4 of the way through, and your not gonna believe this, the end of my form gets run over by a Zamboni, ruining the end of the form, and ****ing up my line AGAIN!

Now it just came down to being funny, a zamboni hitting my form what are the chances eh?

Needless to say i knocked off 30mins early to pick up my truck.

Now you're probably thinking it's all over, "no its not"

On the way home from picking up my truck i see a car pulled over on the side of the road with the four ways on. All i see if the muffler hanging down on the ground, and this poor couple looking around awfully confused with what to do.

So i pull over and offer a hand, (orginally seeing just the girl in the car, i thought i may be able to make a move ;) ) Unfortunately when i got to the car, I could see there was a boyfriend.

I talk to couple for a minute and tell'em i can get the muffler off, and get'em on there way.

I ask them, "how long has the car been shut off for" they reply "20-25 minutes"

Alright, i look under the car, 2 bolts just barely hanging onto this muffler, grab my wrenches go under the car, i feel its pretty warm under there, felt like the engine was just shut off for a few minutes. But my dumb-ass self doesn't put 2 and 2 together.

I put my hand on the pipe, and MOTHER OF GOD WAS IT HOT!! burnt a little off my hand, I yelled cursed and swore for a minute. Came out from under the car, the girlfriend freaked out at me thinking i was going to have to go to the hospital, the boyfriend was laughing at me.

I quickly told pretty boyfriend to shut the hell up, and he got all offensive and started yelling at me.

At the end of it, i put a bolder under the muffler, took the keys from the girl, shoved there car in reverse, and took the muffler off the old fashion way. Worked like a charm too.

Ended up going on my way.

So what will tomorrow bring? A Vacation maybe?

End Rant

Thank you

-Bill

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should of beaten the boyfriend and taken the girl...
He offered a fight i probably would of taken it....and then ran off into the sun set with his girl.

If that happened, I for sure wouldn't be here talking right now...;)

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,216 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You just made my week ever so much smugly better! :thumbsup:

But I really gotta ask...

I get maybe a 1/4 of the way through, and your not gonna believe this, the end of my form gets run over by a Zamboni, ruining the end of the form, and ****ing up my line AGAIN!
WTF is a Zamboni doing running around where forms are being set? :blink:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,512 Posts
After the boyfriend started laughing at you I would have told him to :censored: off and I would have left. Probably saying something like have a good :censored: night a:censored:.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I put my hand on the pipe, and MOTHER OF GOD WAS IT HOT!! burnt a little off my hand, I yelled cursed and swore for a minute. Came out from under the car, the girlfriend freaked out at me thinking i was going to have to go to the hospital, the boyfriend was laughing at me.

I quickly told pretty boyfriend to shut the hell up, and he got all offensive and started yelling at me.
At this point you should ave offered your open palm to show him the burn and when he lowered his head to look, Kapow!!!, open hand haymaker. Then explain that it was an involuntary action and there must be nerve damage.:thumbup::laughing:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WTF is a Zamboni doing running around where forms are being set? :blink:
To put in the new header pipes for the rink, the boys had to bring in a fork lift, and the only way to bring it in was through the zamboni entrance. So the Zamboni had to be moved by an in-experiance driver, with my forms being very close by....the rest is history lol.

That boyfriend, was a dick head through and through. Pretty boy, is probably being dragged around with a leash on as we speak.

loneframer said:
At this point you should ave offered your open palm to show him the burn and when he lowered his head to look, Kapow!!!, open hand haymaker. Then explain that it was an involuntary action and there must be nerve damage.:thumbup::laughing:
Hahaha!! Yes sir!

LadyFinisher said:
WOW Sounds like an awful few days. How is your eye?
My eye is great, my vision is better every day. Safety glasses are now becoming 2nd nature to me now, there always on.

*Knock on wood* The last 2 days have been great, I think I'm out of the rut and back on the road. Tomorrow is friday, and its a long weekend this weekend, and its looking like I MAY not be working at all. So im going to be knocking on wood for the rest of the day...and yeah take that anyway you want, just don't get any werid fantasy's ;)...

-Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts