Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Semi retired/ Over worked
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just cooked my old milwaukee cordless today. Need to buy new stuff, who makes the best cordless L ion tools? I want the best not the cheapest.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
As far as the l/i batteries I had a tool service guy tell me that they're all junk. I've had problems w/ my rigid l/i batterys charging when they're cold.

As far as cordless tools go I think makita is the best. The ONLY reason I got the rigid was because I've had good luck w/ their other tools and wanted the lifetime warranty but now I wish I would have just got the makita set. Never been disappointed w/ makita cordless :thumbsup:.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
Festools and or Hilti. By a longshot. Hilti has some unreal 36v Li technology. Festool cordless are no joke either.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Makita has the best by far and for many reasons. The longest running line of lithium battery 5 years roughly, the most tools in the line, good quality, and good service if you need it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Love my Makita set. Fine homebuilding just did a review of cordless drills in their mag. Milwaukee won with their smaller model (they had 2 in the review) Even though Makita didnt set any records for speed, torque or run time all 3 reviewers said it is a favourite. check out the magazine if the cordless is a priority.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I will agree with XanadooLTD. The Hilti's and Festools are awesome. I would follow that with the Makita line. I have an ancient Makita 12V with the stick battery that I just keep in my home shop. It just won't die! It took a serious beating in its day before I switched to higher volt/newer style drills. I also have an older DeWalt that has held up great, other than replacing the brushes. My current go-to is a Milwaukee V18 set that I got for a steal, and an M18 compact set that I am quite pleased with so far. I have not had any problems with the Milwaukee stuff, but I keep thinking I should have saved the money and put it toward a Hilti or Festool set. Milwaukee batteries just have a bad reputation. Panasonics' are also nice. Great balance and feel. I only have experience with using their older NiCad tools, though. I don't know much about their Li-Ion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love my Makita set. I haven't owned any Hilti stuff but I would guess it is top notch as well. Their may be small differences with each brands batteries but all batteries have a limited life. The quality brands like Makita will most likely outlast the original batteries so it should be expected to replace batteries in time. :shifty:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have Hilti, Dewalt and Ridgid.

The ridgid I won so it didn't cost me any, its the cheapest and the least liked, but for the money they sell for I think they are priced accurately.

The Dewalt XRP hammer drill I have gone through 3 and I think they are excellent drills.

The Hilti 14V drill/impact I use by far the most, it is fantastic but for 1" auger holes and using the hole-saw repeatedly you want the power of the 18Volters. That being said I would be happy with only the 14V kit and a corded drill.

My friend leant me his Makita 18V compact drill and Impact and it was pretty comperable to my hilti set. I think for the money the Makita is an excellent kit. Espicially since its less than half the price of the Hilti (when on sale). If my Hilti were to die tommorow I may replace it with this kit.

I haven't used the Panasonics, not sure how the service is in my area, they arnt very popular here. The reviews say good things though.

Never owned a Milwaukee or Bosch so I can't comment either way.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I will agree with XanadooLTD. The Hilti's and Festools are awesome. I would follow that with the Makita line. I have an ancient Makita 12V with the stick battery that I just keep in my home shop. It just won't die! It took a serious beating in its day before I switched to higher volt/newer style drills. I also have an older DeWalt that has held up great, other than replacing the brushes. My current go-to is a Milwaukee V18 set that I got for a steal, and an M18 compact set that I am quite pleased with so far. I have not had any problems with the Milwaukee stuff, but I keep thinking I should have saved the money and put it toward a Hilti or Festool set. Milwaukee batteries just have a bad reputation. Panasonics' are also nice. Great balance and feel. I only have experience with using their older NiCad tools, though. I don't know much about their Li-Ion.
I had the same thing w/ a milwaukee 12v drill. I got it about 11 years ago and both batterys still work!! So naturaly I got the milwaukee 18v kit and the thing was a piece of poop. Heavy awkward drill and got maybe a year before one of the batterys wouldn't charge at all. Never had bad luck w/ Makita though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use a Dewalt 18 volt xrp for daily use, the hammer drill and the impact. Both have held up pretty well and the power is great, but after about a year or so the batteries seem to dwindle as far as max power and how long they hold the charge. I may tryout a makita if the price is right but I have been very happy with my 6+ cordless dewalt tools

As for Hilti, we have a dry core rig, a couple powder acuated guns, and 5 or so rotary hammers and they are all awesome. I cant wait to try out their cordless drill line, thats up next.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
I use a Dewalt 18 volt xrp for daily use, the hammer drill and the impact. Both have held up pretty well and the power is great, but after about a year or so the batteries seem to dwindle as far as max power and how long they hold the charge. I may tryout a makita if the price is right but I have been very happy with my 6+ cordless dewalt tools

As for Hilti, we have a dry core rig, a couple powder acuated guns, and 5 or so rotary hammers and they are all awesome. I cant wait to try out their cordless drill line, thats up next.
Take into consideration how Hilti cordless rank. Hilti's 18v liion drills are about an american 24v. So you will not go wrong with the Hilti's. You will get insane power and light weight. Good move.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts