Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit this up last night at 5pm right before going home with usg easy sand 20. It's 3:20 pm the next day and it's still wet. Not just this spot either, 80% of this kitchen is still wet. image-2645470216.jpg

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inner10 said:
Is it hard but wet?
Yup

image-3063161079.jpg

This was brand new, and that's wet mud. I did a few other rooms with 90 yesterday and they are dry. I had one bag of 20 so I used it in the kitchen just to get rid of it.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's says right on the bag that it sets in 20-30 mins, and work time is 15 mins. I could have hit it was rapid coat or 3 in 1 and could have sanded it by now. It is a little thick because of the corner bead, but I'm working on 24 hours.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I do drywall and never ran into that situation with hot mud. I have with compound from the bucket in a very cold or damp environment, but rare. Usually ready to sand after setting overnight.

Weird.
Frustrating, I know
The fans with help.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jb4211 said:
I do drywall and never ran into that situation with hot mud. I have with compound from the bucket in a very cold or damp environment, but rare. Usually ready to sand after setting overnight. Weird. Frustrating, I know The fans with help.

I do have a de humidifier about 8 feet away from the kitchen.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sounds like an open bag that has been around a while. I have been told that sometimes the hardeners separate out in the bag.Not sure if that is true or not but I have had the same thing happen to me with old open bags.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Sounds like an open bag that has been around a while. I have been told that sometimes the hardeners separate out in the bag.Not sure if that is true or not but I have had the same thing happen to me with old open bags.
I'll make a note of what you said.
I have two open bags in my trailer. Not much in either one, I may just toss

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jb4211 said:
Which sucks moisture out of the air and makes your situation even more bizarre. Was it a new bag? Could it have been a bad mix?
Brand new bag, I got for this job. I hardly ever save that kind of stuff. I usually mix whole bags. So nothing to save.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
I gave up on powder. Especially 20 min powder. More like 20 danged hours:censored:

All mud work is now quoted as 3 effing days work. IF I am in a hurry, hair dryer and a fan. But otherwise heck with it. Patches now wreak havoc with my schedules.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've always just used green lid for setting then 3 in 1 after that. I switched because everyone on here said hot mud was so much better. So I think I'll go back to ready mix

1 - 20 of 49 Posts