Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the cabinets was upside. very very nice house in a very nice area. it annoyed me to no end. i kept staring at it wanting to say to the guy "you know you put your crown upside down?". i had to bite my tongue literally so i didnt say anything. i just had to get this off my chest its been bothering me since i saw it. thanks for listening.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Certain crowns I think are reversible, but nowadays there are so many hacks out there that anything goes. They are making it harder and harder for decent guys to make a living. I was on the train the other day and someone patched yellowish 8" aluminum siding with grayish double 4" vinyl and it was just pieced in as needed. I am so meticulous with my work and doing research to make sure things are done properly. But as time goes on I have learned that nobody cares and its all about the bottom line. They can half ass it and get away with it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Early 2008 we were doing a basement for a client and when discussing trim, they stated they wanted to exact same crown as they had upstairs (a 5-inch beaded crown). Upon further inspection, the crown they had upstairs was upside down in every room.

Prior to installing trim I debated for days on end whether or not to ask them if they wanted it upside down or right side up. Finally opted to install exactly as it was upstairs. My thinking was that if they requested it that way upstairs (custom built contract home) and did not know better then I did not want them to forever more look at the trim upstairs and think "damn that is upside down."

Attachments

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well...

...it could be worse. I've had to fix crown that was Upside-down, installed flat (no spring angle) and lap-jointed (no miters or copes)... by a contractor.:rolleyes:

Some people make it easy for you to look good.
that is nothing short of pathetic.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
I've purposely installed it up side down a few times. Thats what the home owner wanted, soo they got it.
Looks fine to me, as long as they are happy, they are paying the bill, ehh?

Nothing to get sooo upset about, the world will continue on! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I always see casing used as base, I am starting to think its becoming common practice. And I did a drywall job and they used speed/neck base for casing. The guy who did the trim also used 2 pieces of wood for a 3 foot run on several windows with no glue. Ya that didnt look like **** or anything. People are just so f***ing cheap.

·
Registered
515 Posts
My house was built in 1924, Craftsman type farmhouse, I put crown moulding up in every room on the first floor. All I had left was the hallway. The wife had helped throughout the whole house and was dying to use the 12" mitre saw, so I gave her the measurments, showed her how to make the cuts on some scrap pieces and left her to do it. She had everthing cut, coped, and ready to install. I helped to position and hold it and let her shoot it on. I gotta tell ya, those were some of the tightest joints.

5 years later, I still havent had the heart to tell her it's all upside down.

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
My house was built in 1924, Craftsman type farmhouse, I put crown moulding up in every room on the first floor. All I had left was the hallway. The wife had helped throughout the whole house and was dying to use the 12" mitre saw, so I gave her the measurments, showed her how to make the cuts on some scrap pieces and left her to do it. She had everthing cut, coped, and ready to install. I helped to position and hold it and let her shoot it on. I gotta tell ya, those were some of the tightest joints.

or maybe she hasn't the heart to tell you, all yours are upside down. :laughing:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts

If my wife could do that I would set her up with an install rig and she could take over the install side of things.

Your wife got a sister? :laughing:

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I'm sure I am not alone in saying I have seen door casing in place of base and vice-versa.
I once saw casing used as base.....and it was upside down.I kid you not...
I was a mini wall to wall dust shelf.

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts

And you know damn well you never will:laughing:

I would be down right scared if my wife ever picked up a power tool,I get scared when she asks me where the hammer is to hang a picture.:blink:

·
Registered
515 Posts
And you know damn well you never will:laughing:

I would be down right scared if my wife ever picked up a power tool,I get scared when she asks me where the hammer is to hang a picture.:blink:
You're absolutely right! She's the type who can do just about anything she puts her mind to and it has to be damn near perfect...which totally amazes me as she married me.:laughing: She even has her own tools which I am not allowed to touch.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Actually had a guy I do a bunch of repair work on his rental properties give him an estimate on a bunch of stuff on his list.

Number 1: Caulk bottom of crown in entire house

I get there and were going over what he wants done throughout the house, etc. We get upstairs and immediately I'm confused, WTF does this guy have on the top of his wall? It took me a minute....

Crown was laid flat. 3500 sq ft tri-level house. Crown in every room. All flat.

He tries to do some stuff himself so I dont mention it to him so I dont embarass him.

I finished the entire list except for that, now I just make up reasons why i cant come do it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts