Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been involved with a project where the entire interior is finish with architectural grade plywood. Some rooms are 3/4" pre finished and some 1/2" pre finished. Very unique project. I have approx 160 panels to install. All exposed stainless steel fasteners in a specific pattern specd out by the interior designers.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Have been involved with a project where the entire interior is finish with architectural grade plywood. Some rooms are 3/4" pre finished and some 1/2" pre finished. Very unique project. I have approx 160 panels to install. All exposed stainless steel fasteners in a specific pattern specd out by the interior designers.
Wow i thought the wood paneling look went away years ago. hope its not coming back.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
WOW!

Nice change of pace methinks!:thumbup:

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Cool project. The exposed fasteners are a life saver for install but a little cheesy. Do that all with cleat and hold 1/8" reveals for a real challenge. :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
We do those type of panels on commercial projects all the time, lucky you get to use exposed fasteners, we always have to hang them on French cleats.

Post finished pictures when your done, I'm sure it's going to be awesome

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
I would love to do my office in Book-matched/flitch-matched maple wood panels on cleats.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It's definitely a change of pace, it's the modern look that they are going for, clean lines, exposed fasteners. I enjoy this stuff the best. Got the back wall finished tonight. There are plenty more panels to go. I actually like the look of it all, just has to be in the right house for me to like it.

Attachments

·
Design/Build
641 Posts
Cool design, one for the portfolio. Extra points for no drywall dust!

What happens at the joints between panels? I'll bet aluminum c channel or even raw steel would look good as a spacer. What does the detail at the floor look like?

For being "simple" I've always found modern details demand excellent craftsmanship. Looks like you got it covered.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My apartment is like that, the unevenly spaced and unsquared robertson screws drive me nuts. Will drywall it next year.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
EmmCeeDee said:
Cool design, one for the portfolio. Extra points for no drywall dust! What happens at the joints between panels? I'll bet aluminum c channel or even raw steel would look good as a spacer. What does the detail at the floor look like? For being "simple" I've always found modern details demand excellent craftsmanship. Looks like you got it covered.
the panels keep the 1/8" gaps as a shadow line. As for the floor we are using a plywood with a thicker veneer for the floor. The floor will keep a 1/4" shadow line along the wall and the screw pattern will carry onto the floor.

·
Design/Build
641 Posts
Ok, that makes sense. With 5/8" or 3/4" ply you probably cannot see what is at the bottom of the gaps anyway.

Here's wishing you plumb walls and a dead flat floor.

Keep the pix coming!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Constantly doing when I was installing commercial millwork. Elevator shafts, hallways, balconies, you name it they want it covered in plywood with some sort of over priced veneer.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
mrcharles said:
What about fire ratings between rooms? In commercial when we install panels it is applied over the gypsum.
this is a unique situation. But the seams are solid, the panels are rabbeted out so they lap. This is a pretty unique situation, this is a prototype home.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FramingPro said:
Did you say that nobody will ever live in it :eek:
yes, as bad as that sounds this is a prototype home use to compete on a competition. I mean maybe someone will one day but to my knowledge no.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts