Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
apparently the last 3 jobs our boss put bids on were a no go. i dont know if i'll be working for him again anytime soon. this really sucks, i dont know what exactly im going to do. i was told when i was hired there would be plenty of work throughout the winter, and he already had the jobs lined up. flat out lies, nothing was lined up. :sad: i just needed to get this off my chest and vent a little bit.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't understand it, - - I was busy for eight years straight . . .
:laughing::laughing:
theres a reason why it was so busy for those 8 years. if you wanna talk politics and economics, we can go down that road lol.

·
4,617 Posts
We have a whole forum dedicated to just that subject. Please don't make me pull this thread over.:w00t:

·
Design Build
8,328 Posts
:laughing::laughing:
theres a reason why it was so busy for those 8 years. if you wanna talk politics and economics, we can go down that road lol.
Yup...WE sure could go down that road...but then it would get moved to P&R and you would miss out for another 230 posts.

Now where would the fun be in that?

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup...WE sure could go down that road...but then it would get moved to P&R and you would miss out for another 230 posts.

Now where would the fun be in that?
well WE can go down that road. feel free to send me a private message :laughing:

·
Banned
356 Posts
I haven't worked for anyone since FEB, I'm either Over qualified, Underqualified, Asking too much or They're offering too little and wanting too much. So, I became a CL Handyman.

Been keeping the bills paid for about 6 months.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't worked for anyone since FEB, I'm either Over qualified, Underqualified, Asking too much or They're offering too little and wanting too much. So, I became a CL Handyman.

Been keeping the bills paid for about 6 months.
i'm gonna be goin part time with a landscaper just to keep things going. i've got some ads up on craigslist, i've got one job so far from it. its not looking too good though, but i'm staying positive. i'm gonna print up an ad that has tabs on it with my number. if work heads really down hill me and another guy working for my boss are gonna start going out together. i'm not sure, but i've seen a rough past year thats for sure. august of 2008 i bought my first house (i'm 21). the very next day i was laid off. 2 weeks later i broke my colar bone in 3 places, pulled muscles in my neck, shoulder, arm, my organs shifted so my body was in one big giant cramp, making it nearly impossible to move. i couldnt function properly for about 4 months. lost one of my best friends in august while he was in afgahanstan, had my heart broken. finally got a new job 5 months ago and was looking forward to things and now its just going to ****. i'm really not feeling good about anything. thanks for letting me vent out here, i know im not the only one feeling the pinch right now though.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
i'm gonna be goin part time with a landscaper just to keep things going. i've got some ads up on craigslist, i've got one job so far from it. its not looking too good though, but i'm staying positive. i'm gonna print up an ad that has tabs on it with my number. if work heads really down hill me and another guy working for my boss are gonna start going out together. i'm not sure, but i've seen a rough past year thats for sure. august of 2008 i bought my first house (i'm 21). the very next day i was laid off. 2 weeks later i broke my colar bone in 3 places, pulled muscles in my neck, shoulder, arm, my organs shifted so my body was in one big giant cramp, making it nearly impossible to move. i couldnt function properly for about 4 months. lost one of my best friends in august while he was in afgahanstan, had my heart broken. finally got a new job 5 months ago and was looking forward to things and now its just going to ****. i'm really not feeling good about anything. thanks for letting me vent out here, i know im not the only one feeling the pinch right now though.

What kind of ad's do you have on Craigslist? I hope you are not offering more under-qualified low-ball services that will perpetuate the cycle of DIY'ers not understanding the difference between professional work and weekend warrior slop.

If you think your boss is doing bad right now then you don't even want to know what it's like on your own with no reputation. Chill out, you're still very young.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What kind of ad's do you have on Craigslist? I hope you are not offering more under-qualified low-ball services that will perpetuate the cycle of DIY'ers not understanding the difference between professional work and weekend warrior slop.

If you think your boss is doing bad right now then you don't even want to know what it's like on your own with no reputation. Chill out, you're still very young.
i'm advertising as a handyman/carpenter/painter. i have 4 years doing carpentry and painting so i dont call myself a master carpenter, painting on the other hand i'm pretty good at, but i know what my limitations are. if i cant do the job 100% i dont try to. if i dont know what i'm doing or if i have any question when im doing a job, i call my uncle or my friend who have been doing it alot longer then i have. and if i somehow get in over my head i have one of them come over. i dont pretend to know more then i do. if thats what you're getting at.

i dont appreciate the chill out comment. i've been having a rough year. i know its not easy to go out on your own with no reputation, i also know my boss charges alot of money for his work because of the overhead. i on the other hand dont have any overhead other then the gas i use, and how much i want to make.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
i'm advertising as a handyman/carpenter/painter. i have 4 years doing carpentry and painting so i dont call myself a master carpenter, painting on the other hand i'm pretty good at, but i know what my limitations are. if i cant do the job 100% i dont try to. if i dont know what i'm doing or if i have any question when im doing a job, i call my uncle or my friend who have been doing it alot longer then i have. and if i somehow get in over my head i have one of them come over. i dont pretend to know more then i do. if thats what you're getting at.

i dont appreciate the chill out comment. i've been having a rough year. i know its not easy to go out on your own with no reputation, i also know my boss charges alot of money for his work because of the overhead. i on the other hand dont have any overhead other then the gas i use, and how much i want to make.
I appreciate the fact that you work within your realm. As long as your have the necessary licenses and insurance I have no problem.

As far as overhead is concerned,... What about licenses, insurance (workers and auto), tools? More overhead comes along with more money earned.

The fact is that you are still young and times will get tougher at one point or another in your life. Relax and take it in stride, do your best and always know that thinngs could be worse and are gonna get better.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I appreciate the fact that you work within your realm. As long as your have the necessary licenses and insurance I have no problem.

As far as overhead is concerned,... What about licenses, insurance (workers and auto), tools? More overhead comes along with more money earned.

The fact is that you are still young and times will get tougher at one point or another in your life. Relax and take it in stride, do your best and always know that thinngs could be worse and are gonna get better.
if work picks up good over the next few months i will get insurance and start running a more legitimate business, but there is no reason for me to get insurance now, and in masssachusetts you dont need a license.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
if work picks up good over the next few months i will get insurance and start running a more legitimate business, but there is no reason for me to get insurance now, and in masssachusetts you dont need a license.

BS,... if you are operating a business, then you need insurance. What happens when you accidentally damage a customers property beyond your financial means of repair.

Do you have a state and local license. I realize you may not need a contractors license but a business license is a must pretty much everywhere.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts