Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I inspected a home today and the owner believes there are siding issues. After doing the inspection I found that there is minimal damage to the home, and more so it simply needs a nice paint job.

While doing the inspection, though, I found that it need soffits for roof ventilation and the edge of the roof was beginning to peel back slightly (no ice guard in Iowa) and may have damage (actually it has sustained damage).

I am going to be straight forward with my recommendations, but I wanted to know if, within a few years the owner does realize there is more siding damage then assumed, will I be held liable for providing this kind of estimate or advice?

NOTE: This was a quick inspection from only the exterior and I could only get close to the front side of the house - which was the least damaged (no peeling of paint and no discoloration on the wood siding. The rest of the house was "guarded" by a pitbull and lab. :)

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Sounds like your worried about covering your butt, if thats the case, throw in a clause allowing you to extend cost per descovery, upon agreement. Then closely itemize what your going to do.

A good customer will understand this, a nickel dimer will, well you don't want to deal with one of them anyhow, just let that fella see you walk away.

Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great advice:
throw in a clause allowing you to extend cost per descovery

I don't believe the home owner will have a problem with this, I believe I'm saving them thousands of dollars at this point.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
a clause allowing you to extend cost per descovery, upon agreement
Bob, what does that mean?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Get out of dodge, are you serious Pipe? You have never put together a "Just hoping I don't get screwed" contract?

It's only a good concept if the customer understands head on going in........."Mr Jones, I'm not rally sure what I'm going to run into once the blah blah blah"

Then show it on paper.

Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would basically mean:

Here is my bid, the time it should take, and all the extra expenses.... BUT, if we do run into this kind of problem, we should really take care of it while were in there, that may end up costing the much more money.

For instance, doing a roof, you may be replacing all the shingles, but end up realizing that a skylight has broken down, or is broken, and you need to replace it also. Your clause may say, if something is broken, and it needs to be fixed, its the owners responsibility to pay for those services.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Don't forget the knockup clause:

....If in any shape or form (contractor) or any intity directly or indirectly related to such, unintentionally knocks up said customers wife or daughter, contractor can not be held liable for child support and or any cost there of.:cheesygri

Bob

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
Don't forget the knockup clause:

....If in any shape or form (contractor) or any intity directly or indirectly related to such, unintentionally knocks up said customers wife or daughter, contractor can not be held liable for child support and or any cost there of.:cheesygri

Bob

Good luck to you in getting that to stand up in court!!! :cheesygri

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whenever we do roofs or anything for that matter, we always put the "save our butt" clause in it that says that basically you can't bid what you can't see, it says that if there are any repairs needed that are not in the original bid that it will be time and material

1 - 10 of 10 Posts