Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to find out how many of us out there do snow plowing in the winter for alittle extra income.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I picked up a 'back-up' job at an apt. complex this year as a sub. I'll move snow with my rubber tire loader if the plow guy can't keep up with his stake-body trucks.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I thought that I might try it this year. I thought that I would go for advanced contracts to ensure that my customers would have my services when needed.
I must admit that my venture was a miserable failure and I was unable to sign a single customer. My loan for the snowblower was refused as well.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mike, it snowed all of the way to Homestead, So of Miami back in 76-77. I was in Ft. Laud at the time. Largest type ever used on the front page of the Sun- Sentinal. First snow in recorded history. I was there and really cold, I was also a utilities engineer which meant that I was able to go back inside and resume my position.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided this year to purchase a snowplowing company. 3 comercial accounts and 18 residential accounts and the plow. In my contract with my customers I'll plow after 1,1/2" of snow. Of course where I live in Minnesota I have yet to see that come down in one time. Plow sits in the garage collecting dust. Everywhere else it's snows, but not here :cry:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Hack-Man said:
I decided this year to purchase a snowplowing company. Everywhere else it's snows, but not here :cry:
What am I missing? Doesn't MN get a lot of snow? If it doesn't snow where you are, why did you buy the company? Or is it like buying an ocean cruiser when you're living in Kansas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pipeguy, It should be snowing like mad. Mn is known for cold and snow. Like my wife says thats typical for me. Buy a company thats a sure money maker, I touch it and all hell happens. Thought about putting it on the truck and driving to Texas to make some money.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Been plowing commercailly for about 4 yrs, just played with residential before. Here's some pics from the lst storm we got. One business I do had a car somebody dropped off in the parking lot with out of state tags, the manager of the business thought I should bury it :Thumbs:

It's been really slow this year, I dont try to work too much in the winter as I hate the cold anyways and plowing has always gotten me buy, but this year sucks!! I've thought about buying a spreader before, but we've never had ice to warrant the exspense and customers never really requested it. This year has been nothing but freezing rain and i could've easily paid off a brand new spreader if I'd have bought one. Oh well, they say we're supposed to have more white stuff coming tomorrow afternoon (Fri.) and not get done until Sat. but we'll see.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
IHI, I don't know doodely about snow or what the proper depth is for a buriying job in your neck of the woods but from here I would say that you did a right fine job. LOL

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I always try to do the best with what I have to work with...dont we all!! :Thumbs: That storm netted us 12", but that pic was taken with only about 4" on the ground. Did'nt have my camera the next day for the finishing push-(had 32hrs behind the wheel and we got more snowfall that next night in 4 hrs than we did all day the day before) after I was said and done I was able to stack the snow approx. 8' deep-truck/plow set-up prevented further heigth stacking, after that it just got to be a thicker pile 6-8' deep. Amazing how much snow's in a parking lot when you get to the end of a push LOL!!

Currently under a winter storm warning, now they're calling for 6-10" in my area!! Mo Money Mo Money:)

When I was single I thought MANY times about moving south for the fact of year round work without freezing your azz off, but so long as it's at least 20*+ it's only sweat shirt plus flannel shirt weather, so it aint so bad...unless wind is ripping, we're supposed to get 35-50mph gusts come Sat.

FWIW, plowing is NOT worth buying a new truck and mounting a new plow. Get an older truck-they're proven time and again tougher than the new ones when it comes to punishing them and not failing plus used plows are about half the price of new ones and serve the same purpose. Just what I want is a $40-50K truck with a $4000 plow that I'll be ramming into a "brick wall" all night long. Couple that with the fact EVERYBODY and thier brother up here has plows now, they're driving the rate right out the bottom, I'm still making on average $125/hr, but these new fools are only charging like $20 to do a $75 lot?? And they're the ones with the new trucks!!, heard a couple guys bitching about payments and lack of snow LOL!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IHI
I couldn't agree with you more. Old Truck. Old Plow
It cracks me up to see 2003 and newer trucks with plows going down the road. IDIOTS
The residential accounts that I bought were set up at a rate of $25 per 1 1/2" snow fall. I was timing it at about 15min per driveway.
Just received our first good snow fall this weekend.
Loved it. Bring on the snow!!!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I frequent a snowplow forum during these winter months to read about all the happenings. ALOT of these newer SD Fords are knocking trannies out left and right. Seems the frequent forward/reverse action of plowing and a piss poor internal design of a pin that holds the planetary gear set in place gets jarred loose and eventually allows the gear set to push backwards into the case and send shaving all through the tranny. Syptoms start out as reverse slippiing real bad, then without warning your dead in the water. There were a few guys that had them towed to the dealership and were without their truck for 6-8 weeks becasue ford was trying to develope a fix to solve this problem. Therre was a certain build date that dealer's were told not to sell until this new version service pack had been installed. Imagine that!!! $50K sitting dead at a dealership while the snows falling and your having to pay somebody to plow your lots!!

I gave up residential this year. In the begining I did'nt mind snow blowing sidwalks along with clearing out driveway, but eventually found ouot I like sitting in my warm truck instead LOL!! I'll do them for friends or when people call I make it perectly clear I do not get out of my truck for anything unless it's fuel or coffee!! Lost a few, but most people are still willing to pay $25/drive for not breaking their back!! 15min is about right, I really like those straight in- 2 swipe pushes, 1 minute and your out!! I would do those all day for even $15/drive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have about 3 customers that want me to shovel their sidewalks too. Next year when I set up contracts for them I'm going to charge alittle more. I don't like getting out of my truck either.
Hey what is that web site you were talking about?
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts