Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter is coming and I have a chevy 2500 van, no allwheel drive.
Which snow tires does everyone use..

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yokohama studded tires sell pretty good around here.

My Treadwright MT's grip fine in the snow so I use them, but I have a lever I can pull to engage the front axle if needed.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
BIG help naptown. Nothing would have been better. Please try to be constructive in the future.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Cooper Discoverer M+S WITH STUDS on my F150 2 wheel drive. Same thing on the Dodge Caravan. Will probably go with Coopers on the Accord.

Mark

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Cooper Discoverer M+S WITH STUDS on my F150 2 wheel drive. Same thing on the Dodge Caravan. Will probably go with Coopers on the Accord.

Mark
X2, i run these on my trucks in the winter and the wifes Honda Odysee van. I just dont run studded although studs do work well. They are hands down the best tire i have ever used for plowing. They have a soft compound rubber tread with alot of siping that really grip. I have never had any issues with shakes or out of balance with them, smooth ride and are quiet on the road. they do however wear quickly but i expect this from a traction tire.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I live in CT and I am pretty sure studs are not allowed.
I'm in Ct, run them every winter,I couldn't even get out of my own driveway without them,not to mention uncleared roads that haven't been sanded/salted yet.
My old F-150 had no traction,even with substantial weight over the tires.
I imagine a van to be the same.
Try em,you'll love em!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I understand that studs are best, the next question is, do you break down your wheels and tires each time to switch them or do you keep them on a seperate rim.
The problem I have is that my van has a tire pressure monitoring system and I cant find a tire and rim pkg with the sensors

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
So I understand that studs are best, the next question is, do you break down your wheels and tires each time to switch them or do you keep them on a seperate rim.
The problem I have is that my van has a tire pressure monitoring system and I cant find a tire and rim pkg with the sensors
Rims should be available through your dealer or check auto salvage yards,ebay.
I was told last spring that the studded tires will be available this fall for the pressure monitoring systems.
You may have to switch off the old tires if you can't find the rims,as there is a hefty fine for not using them.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Rims should be available through your dealer or check auto salvage yards,ebay.
I was told last spring that the studded tires will be available this fall for the pressure monitoring systems.
You may have to switch off the old tires if you can't find the rims,as there is a hefty fine for not using them.
A hefty fine for what???? Thay cant fine you for not running the TPMS. Thats like saying you can be fined for not using you ABS or traction control. This is just another gimick for the tree huggers pushing for more economical vehicles and the government has bought into it. I also disagree with the auto manufacturers with how they force the consumer into buying another set of wheel sensors if someone wants to run a different set of tires. The early TPMS used the already existing ABS system to monitor pressures. After so many revolutions it would compare the difference of revolutions between the tires and set a light to check tires. This system would automatically reset itself and you could run any tire pressure you wanted. The new system requires the TPMS to be reset every time the tires are checked and there is a specific order that it is done in. This system also requires you to run all the tires at the same PSI, that sucks for anyone like me who has a front heavy diesel truck with sometimes little weight in the rear. So now i am forced to run 80psi in the rear so the center of my tires wear quickly and it rides like a buckboard wagon. No more of the days that i run 80 psi in the front and 50 psi in the rear for the better ride, the government says tires are cheaper then fuel!!

·
Dave from Macatawa
277 Posts
In west MI we got 140" of snow last year. Cooper is my favorite. Studs not allowed. Used to be calle the Cooper WeatherMaster. Waffle pattern and I agree with the other posts, soft and great. traction

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
A hefty fine for what???? Thay cant fine you for not running the TPMS. Thats like saying you can be fined for not using you ABS or traction control. This is just another gimick for the tree huggers pushing for more economical vehicles and the government has bought into it. I also disagree with the auto manufacturers with how they force the consumer into buying another set of wheel sensors if someone wants to run a different set of tires. The early TPMS used the already existing ABS system to monitor pressures. After so many revolutions it would compare the difference of revolutions between the tires and set a light to check tires. This system would automatically reset itself and you could run any tire pressure you wanted. The new system requires the TPMS to be reset every time the tires are checked and there is a specific order that it is done in. This system also requires you to run all the tires at the same PSI, that sucks for anyone like me who has a front heavy diesel truck with sometimes little weight in the rear. So now i am forced to run 80psi in the rear so the center of my tires wear quickly and it rides like a buckboard wagon. No more of the days that i run 80 psi in the front and 50 psi in the rear for the better ride, the government says tires are cheaper then fuel!!
New technology s*cks,
We can at least change our own oil,I think!
There are some people trying to do away with the gov.intervention here,but it"s falling on deaf ears:http://www.tireindustry.org/pdf/TPMS_Comments052305.pdf

But here is the current take by installers when asked:

Can't you guys just disable that annoying TPMS light? I don't want to pay to fix a system I don't even want!

No. It is illegal to disable the TPMS light per FMVSS 138. We're not willing to pay fines or go to jail to reduce your annoyance. Are you required to fix the TPMS light? No, you're not. Could we install 24" non-TPMS rims with 35 series tires on your Corolla. Absolutely not, but not because it's illegal, it would just look really silly. The law says your warning system must not be disabled, but apparently a working warning light is considered "working". Goofy rims without TPMS are legal, so long as an auto repair shop does not disable your TPMS light. Can you disable your own TPMS light? It's fine with me. I won't tell anybody.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I run Nokian Hakkapeliitta LTs on my truck, kicks ass on the blizzaks.
These are awesome in the snow just awesome!

Michelin's are a better ice tire but the nokians are snow kings.

Coopers have gone up in price but the quality hasn't changed.

I'm just going to run my BFG Commercial T/A all-seasons again and be caseful.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My father drives the same van. GMC 2500 extended length 2WD.

He runs studded hakkapalittas (spelling?) and it does well considering.

He cant make the driveway sometimes in snow storms, but it you know how to drive, you dont have any problems on the roads.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Auburn Gear Inc

Can't believe you use still use a rear wheel drive van in winter?? Here's what you do. Install a posi-rear end differential. Turns your 1 wheel drive van into a 2 wheel drive. Both rear wheels now drive the van when required. No more wheel spinning at lights or stop signs. These things work great. Only the gears are changed so you keep everything you see at the rear end, dif, brakes, shocks. Last time I had an install the cost was $1200CDN. Best money you can ever spend. This system can be used on any rear wheel drive vehicle.​

Here's a little diddy on Auburn (other makers of these systems out there so check around):​

For 48 years Auburn Gear Inc. has been the leader in performance limited slip differentials, spools, & mini spools. Our unique cone style differential provides more bias torque as compared to any other limited slip brand.

The Auburn ECTED locking differential is a SELECTABLE limited slip to a full locking differential.

Our current product catalog features our full line of limited slip differentials, the ECTED Auburn-Locker, spools, mini spools, as well as a complete listing of service kits.​

This unit replaces what's inside your rear differential:​

:thumbsup:​

Reactions: HusqyPro
1 - 20 of 20 Posts