Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work for a snow removal company in Colorado and we have been breaking shovels constantly all winter long. Today I actually broke 3 shovels. The first was a kodiak aluminum shovel that had lasted about 50 hours. The second was a brand new plastic True Temper scoop shovel size 12, and it last 5 minutes!
I NEED to find a company that sells industrial strength shovels that can handle difficult snow removal jobs. Does anyone have any experience who could recommend a good company to me. It is hard to make any money when you go through $60 worth of shovels in a day. Thanks

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Well Teetor? This is your area of expertise isn't it? :cheesygri

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Save the scoops. Then use metal pipes in place of the wood or alluminum dowels.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Pass the torch to me Rich!
Danny, the correct answer is to move south. Today we had temps near 80 with the current low at 65, good sleepin' weather and nary a flake in sight.
I've seen snow and lots of it, exiting the doors at PBI sure feels good.
As to your problem with the shovels, I though that the aluminums were good. I'll contact my cousin in Montana and my buddy in Timmons, Ont. and see what they recommend.
Do I see a new market? How does this sound "Treasure Coast Snowshovels"? I could sell a few thousand a year as a gimmic.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Do I see a new market? How does this sound "Treasure Coast Snowshovels"? I could sell a few thousand a year as a gimmic.
LOL

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
I've seen snow and lots of it, exiting the doors at PBI sure feels good.
:cool: One step ahead of the jailor?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Got over that phase many years ago, retirement options sucked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the advice but I gots to keep at it. Obviously, the snow removal world is not ready for my tenacious tactics. If Treasure Coast made a good shovel, I'd buy it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Danny, don't get discouraged. Somebody from snow country will be along. Some folks have a problem that I chose to live in paradise, we all have our choices.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Danny,
Try coal shovels. They're patterned after the old shovels that guys used to use to shovel coal into furnaces. They still make them and contractors routinely use them as "clean-up" shovels. We have one that's much heavier duty than any snow showel and picks up probably just as much snow. Good luck.

Tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try wrapping a bunch of duct tape around the broken part. If them there Nascar fellas can use it to hold fenders and hoods together, I'm sure it will fix your little shovels.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I don't shovel a damn thing. We hire out....I am way to busy.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
But to add to my last post, I usually see those sled like shovels all over the place.
one big shovel the size of a tailgate attached to a big handlebar you push along.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You got to be kidding me! The only way that you're getting me in that stuff is by the threat of starvation. I'm way over long pants, jackets and still have a few months to go. I really hate socks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts