Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That time of year again , came fast , is anyone here servicing any properties or picked up any new contracts ? ? If so , who , what where when and how .

Attachments

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
We lost the Gatorade bottling plant that we used to do. So far, we only have a new bank that opened up.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Speaking of “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I have'nt really gone after any new accounts since i dont and will never "bid" a job hourly like some many do, i sell them, which allows me to get half as much again over the other guys going rates. And just like doing construction work, the price of lowballer trying to capture accounts has them reaching levels i simply refuse to even set my alarm to get out of bed for since i can just as easily stay home and go broke...i sure the heck am not going to work at it LOL!!!

Guys are bidding stuff at $50-55/hr...they can have those rates all day long. Most are new guys that have a POS truck, used plow that will have break downs throughout the winter and wont give two craps about getting the lot plowed, The other's are new idiots with a brand new shiney truck, brand new shiney plow with no concept of insurance, the amount of work it actually takes to keep these parking lots in tip top shape and safe for the employee's/patrons that are going into/out of the establishments.

I treat plowing like i do my construction business, i've yet to see anything get cheaper that is required to operate, yet people want our rates cut from last year?? NO THANKS!!! the lowest i will absolutely go is $75 per push, but most of my lots are more than that since they're bigger lots and then salt/sand-salt is added ontop of that...IMO anything less than that, your a fool for doing it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
What i have ran into is two basic types of plowing contractors.

The first kind of company is one that plows for profit and looks to make money from plowing service just like any other service provided in the other three seasons. This is the type of snow contractor I try to be.

The second is the type of contractor that uses plowing for cash flow only. They are not looking to make any real profit from plowing snow but more of a "get through the winter" type of thing to keep employees working for the winter and not lose them. They quote snow close to cost and figure they are ahead because they retained key employees.

The second type of contractor is what I have come up against on most quotes.

·
Stud
605 Posts
We've always plowed for the town we live in w/ 4 pieces equipment. They provide plows for my loader & backhoe. I've thought about getting in plowing commercial lots but I figure this isn't the right time. I would have to get snow pusher for my loader & a sander for my truck. From what I hear contractors are cutting each others throats for work. Probably not the best year to make the change.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
234 Posts
El Nino year ,don't go buy any equipment it might just sit there all winter and rust.

Reactions: nlgutters

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
El Nino year ,don't go buy any equipment it might just sit there all winter and rust.
Pessomist...these past few yrs down here have been like the winters i remember as a kid, and more snow than we've had in years prior....all the equipment is here, tested and 100% operational and waiting for the white gold to fall. I prefer to get hammered with massive ice storms since that's when we shine and make the big bucks...too many phucking idiots willing to work for free pushing the crap to get me excited to bid that kinda work. :laughing: $50-65/hr....go right on ahead and tear up yo chit, i'll look out the window and watch ya:laughing::laughing: it's as bad or worse than bidding construction work anymore:censored: Billy bob stopped by with 2 flat tires and bungee cords wrapped around his truck holding it together and say's he'll do it for $10 less per push/hour than you, can you match that?

Nope, but i'll be charging you $20 more per push/hour than what i've been charging you for being dumb enough to even come at me with this non sense when billy bob and his rust patrol breaks down and he's out before the season really kicks off though.

Or the pukes that buy the brand new truck, brand new plow and it's their first year...coming in and cutting everybody throats by alot to try and bust their azzes and equipment to make the payments. :laughing: I've dropped to 1/4 of the accounts i had, and make almost as much as i did 6 yrs ago when i was working hours on end with multiple accounts all over the place.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Pessomist...these past few yrs down here have been like the winters i remember as a kid, and more snow than we've had in years prior....all the equipment is here, tested and 100% operational and waiting for the white gold to fall. I prefer to get hammered with massive ice storms since that's when we shine and make the big bucks...too many phucking idiots willing to work for free pushing the crap to get me excited to bid that kinda work. :laughing: $50-65/hr....go right on ahead and tear up yo chit, i'll look out the window and watch ya:laughing::laughing: it's as bad or worse than bidding construction work anymore:censored: Billy bob stopped by with 2 flat tires and bungee cords wrapped around his truck holding it together and say's he'll do it for $10 less per push/hour than you, can you match that?

Nope, but i'll be charging you $20 more per push/hour than what i've been charging you for being dumb enough to even come at me with this non sense when billy bob and his rust patrol breaks down and he's out before the season really kicks off though. Love it easy money.

Or the pukes that buy the brand new truck, brand new plow and it's their first year...coming in and cutting everybody throats by alot to try and bust their azzes and equipment to make the payments. :laughing: I've dropped to 1/4 of the accounts i had, and make almost as much as i did 6 yrs ago when i was working hours on end with multiple accounts all over the place.
$375 for 6 driveways. 2.5 hours total they are spread out all over town. 1 pull plow no front plow no sander. Back down driveway to garage door stop push button drive away push buttun to lift once driving away. Pay up sucker.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
i don't care if you're the only snow removal show in town, and make $3k an hour with your grain shovel....snow removal SUX! ever milk cows? snow removal is like owning a dairy herd....you can't leave. you can't schedule a night with family/friends...for yourself, you're married to the sheet.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
i don't care if you're the only snow removal show in town, and make $3k an hour with your grain shovel....snow removal SUX! ever milk cows? snow removal is like owning a dairy herd....you can't leave. you can't schedule a night with family/friends...for yourself, you're married to the sheet.
You are very correct sir, but i'm still young and dumb enough that during the 5 months a year i dont work, it gives me something to do and provides the needed green for my next season's racing funds:thumbsup:

Cole, i've been keeping my eye out for a Daniel or snoman pull plow to set up on one of the trucks, at the point where i may just say the heck with it and buy a new one...but i got started with resi's back in the day and even now 15yrs later i still have a bad taste in my mouth with them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
, it gives me something to do and provides the needed green for my next season's racing funds:thumbsup:

Thats why i do it

·
Stud
605 Posts
Bingo

That is what I hate most about plowing. I've plowed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, & New Years. I have a big family that gets together on holidays. Nothing sucks more than being stuck plowing knowing that you could be having great time w/ family.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did it once and it does suck, but even though it is a factor that you cannot plan anything with the family I would look at it as having work during the winter months. The more guys who don't want to, or refuses to do the work, means supply and demand rises, thus meaning price increase when you're called out in the middle of the night. IMO

Lowballers = Thieves

·
Registered
23 Posts
i plow with a 763 skidsteer with a 3 ft wing i fabbed. this is kickass plow combo. i cant out plow the loaders from gravel pit. and i can still stack and move snow. pretty well puts skidsteers with 6-9k plow blades to shame and cost only pennies in material.

ive also started fabbing a 4 ft wing for our 580 hoe..

i ice melt and do sidewalks with the skidsteer wing hangs out over the street.

i do two big lots on my own and couple smaller. i have to have these clear no later then 8am my mornings often start at 1 and sometimes dont end. round the clock at times.

my buddie plows walmart. i head up there when im done with mine. we hit walmart till noon then come back at 11 at night and clear it all the way.

yes it sux plowing but the money isnt bad. i bid some and do some hourly. also haul snow in the dump truck when the owners say so.

last snow season kept us from going under. i will not buy equipment to plow that is just not very smart. my buddie bought a big cat skidsteer and 6 way plow blade. and i can see him watchn me wave mtns of snow with my little 763 and fabbed wing. he shakes his head realizeing how dumb that purchase was.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts