Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

Half plumbing question, half tiling question - -

For a host of reasons, it would be reeeeaaaaallllyy convenient to run the cold water feed for the toilet along the back corner of the floor of the shower stall. This is a custom shower, membrane & mud floor, tile, etc.

Option 1 - lay the pipe, lay the membrane over it, mud the floor, maybe a little taller than usual.

Option 2 - put down an additional layer of 3/4" plywood leaving a gap at the back as a passage for the pipe, then cement board right over top, membrane, mud as usual...

I can't thin of any code that says you can't do this. And yes, a pain if ever anything goes wrong (although at least it'll be one solid run of pipe, no joins, and option 2 is actually a passage that would allow it to be pulled). Any good reasons not to do this?

Thanks.

·
Custom Stuff
867 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Years from now when someone has a leak they will have one hell of a time finding it and repairing it. What happens when someone wants to tear out the shower and runs a bulldog chisel through the pipe never expecting one to be there.

I suspect you don't want to run the line in the studs for two reasons: you have to drill studs and couple each section of pipe (use cpvc) and/or its in an outside wall. Why not cut the subfloor and lay it right?

It is always best to do things standard so the next poor slob won't be surprised.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Years from now when someone has a leak they will have one hell of a time finding it and repairing it. What happens when someone wants to tear out the shower and runs a bulldog chisel through the pipe never expecting one to be there.

I suspect you don't want to run the line in the studs for two reasons: you have to drill studs and couple each section of pipe (use cpvc) and/or its in an outside wall. Why not cut the subfloor and lay it right?

It is always best to do things standard so the next poor slob won't be surprised.

I agree, don't hide it in the shower...... there are times that finding it right would be a surprise:w00t:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts