Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use snaptoggle bolts for pretty much anything, if I'm going into sheetrock. Molly for much lighter stuff.

What do you guy use instead of snaptoggles in heavily insulated walls or short depth walls (where you can't get the damm thing in)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeap, those.

I've ran into situations like exterior sided walls, that have no room for these to fall into the cavity between interior/exterior, or the latter, where its so heavy insulated, it ain't going in...

·
Registered
11,377 Posts
I use pop toggles a lot. The weak link is the plastic tool they come with that's used to pop them. Crisp hit with a hammer keeps it from breaking.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going to run out and compare the insertion depth of a molly anchor compared to snaptoggles or maybe even a light duty rated ez-anchor.

This is more for applications where I'm using a #8. Need to order up some supplies, and just want one that will work not only for hollw cavities, but tight cavities as well.

·
Registered
11,377 Posts
Going to run out and compare the insertion depth of a molly anchor compared to snaptoggles or maybe even a light duty rated ez-anchor.

This is more for applications where I'm using a #8. Need to order up some supplies, and just want one that will work not only for hollw cavities, but tight cavities as well.
I would suggest the ez-anchors that split open when the screw is installed. They don't all do that.

Edit: I mean this ONLY if/when you decided to use EZanchors - personally, I hate them. Prefer the pop-toggles....they even hold up for TP holders, unlike a lot of junk.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I prefer more of the ones that expand / tension to the back of the wall.

Tried those screw in briefly. Worked great when they held. Made a ugly mess if I'm just blindly using those and you hit a steel stud. Might need to head over to homers to look at Mollys. Have not used these in AGES but I suspect they have a shorter profile than the EZ Anchors...

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
If you don't have the depth and you can't anchor into whatever is behind the drywall use a wall driller.

I've gotten rid off all hollow wall fasteners except nylon wall drillers and snap toggles.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why nylon. I assume cause those at least expand versus the metal ones....

All I carry is snap toggles. Just looking to standardize on a #8 lightweight application.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Why nylon. I assume cause those at least expand versus the metal ones....

All I carry is snap toggles. Just looking to standardize on a #8 lightweight application.
They are more forgiving with the type of fastener and you can run a screw right through them. Conversely they can explode if you try to drill them into double drywall. In that case I use my Phillips bit like a pilot drill and then drive in the wall-driller. Snap toggles are slower and more expensive than wall-drillers, wall drillers are the fastest easiest cheapest drywall anchor going and for light duty applications they are ideal.

I probably use 10 wall drillers for ever snap toggle.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Going point on double rock ! It was never even on my radar

Im going to pick up a pack of Toggler TC and joe blow Molly's to compare.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Going point on double rock ! It was never even on my radar

Im going to pick up a pack of Toggler TC and joe blow Molly's to compare.
They are junk, I actually bought a bag of 300 of the plastic ones and they are complete crap. If I find it and I didn't throw them out I will send them to you. They don't pull tight and stay tight. It's hard to describe but they are only secure when you really snug them up, it's just an all-around bad design for an anchor.

Molly anchors are good, but they have nothing on the Toggler:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Isn't that what you posted as your recommendation - nylon wall driver....

Wall Drivers to me are just that style ?

I must of mis-read. What wall drivers did you mean...

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Isn't that what you posted as your recommendation - nylon wall driver....

Wall Drivers to me are just that style ?

I must of mis-read. What wall drivers did you mean...
Wall driller:

·
Registered
11,377 Posts
If by worst you mean best for all light duty applications I agree.
No disrespect meant, Inner. Were we talking "light duty" here? Sure, they're quick, but they are the first ones to need replacing unless it's "light duty & no movement". I wouldn't use them for towel rods, TP holders, robe hooks, mirrors etc. or anything like that. Disagree?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts