Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was working on a remodel and the HO hired painters to paint the outside of the house. I was walking to the truck to get something and thought I smelled something strange. I looked around and sure enough, I guess it was break time.

Reactions: Steve.Mervine

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it always the painters? I have seen it once and it was a paint crew too.
This was the first Ive ever seen it, they were out in the street too.

Really...they didn't even invite Michael over for a hit....friggin' bogarts :furious:
No they didnt, I should have called the cops. :laughing:

Painters that smoke pot,:huh:

Never heard of it!:no:
All this time we all thought they were just high on the paint fumes.

Maybe with the new low VOC paints they had to find a substitute.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Always seems to be painters, I don't smoke so I just assumed that it was required to cut a straigh line freehand without tape...cause I know damn well I can't!

Reactions: 21gun

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have been on few sites commercial or residential that it DIDN'T happen.

NOT JUST painters. ALOT of framers too(amongst others).

It's often reffered to as a "Safety Meeting".

The drinking is as bad if not worse. USUALLY lunch time but not always.:no:

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,893 Posts
I have been on few sites commercial or residential that it DIDN'T happen.

NOT JUST painters. ALOT of framers too(amongst others).

It's often reffered to as a "Safety Meeting".

The drinking is as bad if not worse. USUALLY lunch time but not always.:no:
Construction in general, how many people here ever had to take a piss test to get a construction job that wasn't union? shingle slingers, wood butchers, terd herder's, sparkies, trim guys, floor guys, excavators, sheet rockers you get the point. I will tell you that window cleaners are the worst.

However it is NOT acceptable on the job, especially on occupied homes. I agree that the alcohol effects a worker in a much worse way and I can personally attest to that from my own experience as a much wilder young Tote-Man on a framing crew.:no:

·
Banned
51 Posts
Back when I was starting out I did a little bit of everything. Didn't quite have the most reliable guys working for me and things happened.

I'll never forget the time when I was rolling down the road and looked over at my buddy in the passenger seat as he was looking at me simultaneously. We both had that :eek:look.

There was a guy named Steve in the back of my van (someone who was a friend of a friend) kicked back in the aiderondack lawn chair we put back there for him to sit on smoking the largest joint I've ever seen. It was like Cheech and Chong.:thumbup:

Those were the days.:whistling

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Back when I was starting out I did a little bit of everything. Didn't quite have the most reliable guys working for me and things happened.

I'll never forget the time when I was rolling down the road and looked over at my buddy in the passenger seat as he was looking at me simultaneously. We both had that :eek:look.

There was a guy named Steve in the back of my van (someone who was a friend of a friend) kicked back in the aiderondack lawn chair we put back there for him to sit on smoking the largest joint I've ever seen. It was like Cheech and Chong.:thumbup:

Those were the days.:whistling
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts

No they didnt, I should have called the cops. :laughing:

All this time we all thought they were just high on the paint fumes.

Maybe with the new low VOC paints they had to find a substitute.
If this was the first you've ever seen it, how did you know what it was?

Don't you remember the old saying (perhaps not, you might be too young), "The stoners relax while watching the drunks fight."?

Reactions: nEighter

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Construction in general, how many people here ever had to take a piss test to get a construction job that wasn't union? shingle slingers, wood butchers, terd herder's, sparkies, trim guys, floor guys, excavators, sheet rockers you get the point. I will tell you that window cleaners are the worst.

However it is NOT acceptable on the job, especially on occupied homes. I agree that the alcohol effects a worker in a much worse way and I can personally attest to that from my own experience as a much wilder young Tote-Man on a framing crew.:no:

Piss tests are screening for drugs not alcohol so they skate by. Gold seal and other products flush the system and there's always the condom with clean piss inside the leg.

Seems they go through alot more to pass a test then to quit.

I worked on a crew where I was the only one clean. Lead man was biligerent and drunk by 1pm and the others would ride around drinking and smoking it up on lunch break.

It was so hot and humid I would work through lunch, snacking on pretzels and drinking water,Gatorade and tea. I would pre cut, clean up or organize trailer. I made sure ANYONE driving by saw me doing something and NOT around them.

You know "guilt through association".

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Smoking or drinking are grounds for a firing but you know the ol' saying?

It ain't a crime until you get caught.;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in Canada (Oakville, Ontario specifically) This is VERY VERY common.
I have been to very few sites in the past few years where I didn't catch a whiff of smoke here or there. I have a few guys that do work for me that smoke before they paint or hang drywall. Meh what can you do.
Weed doesn't make somebody a bad trades person. The person does.
Alchohol is a completely different issue. I have seen a few people get sacked over booze. Sad

·
Registered
498 Posts
Today I was working on a remodel and the HO hired painters to paint the outside of the house. I was walking to the truck to get something and thought I smelled something strange. I looked around and sure enough, I guess it was break time.
Come on guys! Haven't you heard of the new paint "additive"?:whistling

·
Registered
9 Posts
You should have dropped a dime on them.

Drug and or alcohol use on a jobsite should never be tolerated.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Always seems to be painters, I don't smoke so I just assumed that it was required to cut a straigh line freehand without tape...cause I know damn well I can't!
Actually i've had two painters tell me (automotive painters) that many times old painters will down a few beers before spraying a car since it relaxes them and makes it easier to lay on the paint since they're not all tensed up:eek::laughing: Guess they're really into their professions since the one was and still is a raging alcoholic and the other is dry for 8 yrs now and miraciously has'nt painted in 8yrs, owns a fleet of dump trucks now:laughing:

Smoking bodah on the job, C-YA.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 203 Posts