Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know it's a bad habit and do not need any of that talking too. I gave up drugs and whiskey along time ago and I have cut down to a pack a day from 2. My lady tolerates alot and last time I didnt smoke she was about to kill me next thing I knew the threw a carton of smokes at me.

I'm just curios how much smokes are in other parts.
In NM marlboros or camels run $5.10 at smoke shops or 6.25 other places
In W Texas add a buck ( I do not like the firesafe part at all they go out mid smoke, I added a lighter pouch onto an already full toolbag just becuse of them)

I saw an electric cigerette injector at my smoke shop the other day. The gal gave me 1 she made and it tasted just like a camel light, the only problem was the cherry fell of a couple times. She said $15-20 a carton this way now. Anyone doing this?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Smokes went up some and THEN the $1 tax to where it's $43.00-$50.00 a carton (depending on where you buy them) Individual packs are like $5-$6 I think. NOW they are talking a possible 'NOTHER $1. :furious::censored::furious:

I gave up recreational drug usage 15 plus years ago and drink MAYBE once every 1-2 years. So why not raise beer $1 -$2 a beer INSTEAD of smokes? Seems only fair non smoking drinkers should "share the burden" with the non drinking smokers.:eek:

but seriously this is WAY to much of a powder keg topic to have people objectively and rationally discuss. Non smokers vs non drinkers(guys that do booth your F:censored:KED :laughing:) Democrats vs Republicans etc. Our economy has and is tanking and politicians are grasping at loose straws by over taxing to try to make up for stimulus bs and baile out bs. Since they don't have to worry about the fall out affecting their lifelong GAURANTEED money we can see more STUPID taxing and other crap.(i.e. wonder why AIG got so much money? No questions asked? Look at whose pention they insure!:eek:)

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
Why keep raising taxes on smokes when they could just as easily be outlawed! Why not just outlaw the damned things?

Why? Because cigarettes are a cash cow for the government. They don't care how many people die annually from smoking and they don't care how many youngsters become newly addicted to cigarettes. They want the money, it's all about the money. :)

About $5.65 here right now.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Why keep raising taxes on smokes when they could just as easily be outlawed! Why not just outlaw the damned things?

Why? Because cigarettes are a cash cow for the government. They don't care how many people die annually from smoking and they don't care how many youngsters become newly addicted to cigarettes. They want the money, it's all about the money. :)

Darn rite about it!!. Arnold Da Terminator said ..by legalizing "Marijuana" now, CA state will be able to collect more taxe$$$ revenu and decrease budget deficits !! :thumbsup::thumbup::laughing:

Okay, now time to openly buy & roll ourselves... no more relying on hidden Mexico & Columbia Drug lords!!! :whistling

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I hope they raise them to $30 a pack everywhere. Maybe people will quit.
Smoking is a NASTY habbit and us smokers don't do it to be cool or rebelious(like most of us thought when we started) but if people who are so adiment and "against us" REALIZED just how much OUR tax money saved YOUR wallets you'd probably change your thought process.

Restaurant goers and barflies can't much claim 'second hand smoke anymore since you can't find to many places (IF ANY) to smoke in. So now the barflies can stagger out to cars with smoke free lungs and carreen down the highway knowing at least their lungs are safe that night:eek:!

ALL FOR the legalization of drugs. Marijuna for sure POSSIBLY all of them.I'm sure the ramifacations of legalization the "harder" ones might out way the benefits.

On the surface you increase tax income from the sales decrease tax dollars spent on the war on drugs(which is kind of an oxymoron when you think about it. We give a gagillion tax dollars to Columbia who has a corruptable gov. and they BUILD BETTER DRUG LABS.:eek:)

The main reason it will NEVER happen is the global economy.Lay off of the majority of DEA agents(keeping some to monitor the "legal" drug houses unless BATF takes over) will cause un employment to rise up more. and the third world countries who rely on drugs as their TOP export now need even MORE of our tax dollars to keep afloat:no:

WE'LL ALL GIVE UP NICOTINE,CAFFEIN, and ALCOHOL:w00t::w00t:......
PROBLEM SOLVED!..............NOT:no:

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts

Is'nt FREEDOM OF CHOICE the slogan that makes us Americans !
What would be next ? No rock climbing because people die from it ?
I just believe in rights.
By the way, if people open their eyes they would see that prohibition is going through the back door right now.

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I gave up recreational drug usage 15 plus years ago and drink MAYBE once every 1-2 years. So why not raise beer $1 -$2 a beer INSTEAD of smokes? Seems only fair non smoking drinkers should "share the burden" with the non drinking smokers.:eek:
Don't you worry, it's coming. It will be another tax throwed on top to pay for the health care system.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Don't you worry, it's coming. It will be another tax throwed on top to pay for the health care system.
UNFORTUNATELY your probably right.:sad: It's just to bad "No Taxation WITHOUT Representation" wasn't more well defined as to what "Representation" SHOULD mean as opposed to what supposed "representation" we have!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I quit for almost a year and just started up again last month... kicking myself now, I picked a great time to start with all these outrageous price hikes. I've seen prices anywhere from $5-9 a pack, and supposedly they're going up again in September :censored:

Strange, for most people quitting is the hard part, but I've quit cold turkey several times, it's just not starting up again that's hard. As long as it's a spur-of-the-moment decision I can usually quit no problem. I've never had any success with a set quit-date, like New Year's resolutions.

I just did a cabinet job for a homeowner who was using one of those e-cigs, he said it was pricey but it was better than all the pills, patches and whatever else he's tried. He said the best part was using it in restaurants and pissing the waitresses off :laughing:

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
I always wonder:

why do most white folks smoke Marlboros and drink mountain dew and budweiser?

why do most black folks smoke newports or cools, and drink Pepsi and Colt 45?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts