Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
aren't hardwired systems set to chirp if one battery is dead? I dont think removing the detector stops that, I think you need to put in a new battery.

I'm sure someone who knows what they are talking about will weigh in, but I would start by replacing all the batteries in the system

·
Always Learning
8,473 Posts
After you unplug them they will still chirp even with a dead battery. You have to hold the test button until it uses all the stored power up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,417 Posts
If it's hardwired and you removed it from the power source, it will chirp to let you know it does not have 120v AC power. Even with a fresh 9v battery.

·
Super Moderator
11,925 Posts
Make sure it is actually that smoke detector chirping.

Sometimes chirping in another room can sound like it's somewhere else.

Sometimes I've found the chirping to be not a smoke detector at all, but a nearby CO detector plugged in behind a couch signaling "time to replace" for example.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Had a smoke detector that kept chirping in the kitchen. So I removed the hard wired detector and it still kept chirping at the junction box. I don't get it?

It's same detector like the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eRx8KhKOYU
It's a plug in CO detector that's chirping.

I've had a dozen cases of chirping smoke detectors that were just plug in COs that expired.

2 of which were empty electrical boxes people swore were chirping.

Reactions: tonyc56

·
Always Learning
8,473 Posts
It was actually another smoke detector that was chirping. Though I swear it sounded like it was coming from that junction box...weird!!!
Coming through the wires like the old string and cup telephone...lol!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,925 Posts
It was actually another smoke detector that was chirping. Though I swear it sounded like it was coming from that junction box...weird!!!
So do I get at least a consolation prize for my post?:laughing:

Those chirps are difficult to track down. They echo like crazy into other rooms.

Glad you found it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
26,191 Posts
I had smokes going off for no apparent reason. It turned out a discrete component on the circuit board had fried.

·
Electrical Contractor
244 Posts
Don't feel bad, I've had dozens of customers swear the sound was coming from the electrical box
I too have run into this. The guy swore the box was chirping. I told him it cannot be the box. He had removed the smoke, taken out the battery and had it in another room. I told him that something else was chirping--long story short, he made me go there and right away I saw a carbon detector plugged in the hall outlet-- There's the problem- $110 please...:laughing:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've chased after similar issues too. Found the Kiddie brand detectors to be especially prone to this and nuisance alarms also. There are ones on the market now that come with a sealed ten year battery, which is the useable life of the detector. Unless someone wants to be really thrifty, I pretty much don't install anything but the ten year type now. Now more changing batteries, or service calls to deal with dead batteries. If a ten year battery detector is chirping at you, then its useable life is over and its time to replace it. Plus they are also available in the combination CO/Smoke type which we use frequently. Next time you get a call and it turns out its just a dead detector battery, consider offering your customer an upgrade to the ten year type. If the detectors are near expiry anyway, its a good up-sell that saves them more service call costs in the long run. Plus its convenient for them: what customer actually remembers to change their detector batteries every year?!? Its a Win-Win.

·
Registered
26,191 Posts
I installed about $700 of 10 year battery units back in the 90s. I had to change every single one out - they'd start chirping, most of them in the first year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed about $700 of 10 year battery units back in the 90s. I had to change every single one out - they'd start chirping, most of them in the first year.
Fair enough, however I think battery technology may have advanced a bit in the last 20 years. You remember the boat anchors we used to call cordless drills we'd all carry around back then? The charge on those didn't last long either!

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,258 Posts
Fair enough, however I think battery technology may have advanced a bit in the last 20 years. You remember the boat anchors we used to call cordless drills we'd all carry around back then? The charge on those didn't last long either!
and took about 4 hours to charge

·
Registered
26,191 Posts
IMO, it wasn't the batteries, it was the detector circuitry. My point really was just because the manufacturer says it's going to work for 10 years before problems start doesn't mean it will. I'm willing to wait 10 years from now to find out how reliable these are - I know how long the ones you change batteries in last.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts