Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Firstly, pardon my English mistakes!馃槉 I have a small job to do but I need to know how to do it right. I have two exterior walls sided with brand new smartside engineered panel sidings and I want to paint them. I would like to cut them in and roll them with latex paint! Is rolling fine? What roller size should I use? Is 10 fine? Please let me know your thoughts about it. Thanks in advance.
Note: pic attached!

Attachments

Registered
Set up a roller rig. 2 gal bucket with mesh screen propped up im it. 4" roller -- 1/2" nap, bucket hook a good 2 1/2 - 3" brush. Roll on the paint, brush it out. Gotta get these at the contractor paint store.

Have some XIM latex conditioner avail. (or Flotrol) this will help the paint glide better. A must when it gets hot outside.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve! You are the best! 馃憤馃憤馃憤鉁屸湆鉁岎煈岎煈岎煈

Registered
Thought it was horiz lap siding...

With that you can use a 9" roller -- higher quality 3/4" , 1- 1.25" nap -- out of a 5 gal bucket with screen in it.

Get familiar with the painting instructions from the siding mfg. Spray must be backrolled or brushed. I think roll on as is --- is ok.

Registered
What's the question about spraying? You don't need to backroll or brush on exteriors unless you suck at spraying. Brush and roller is fine and you don't need to brush out the roller either again unless you suck at rolling also.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I just want to make sure rolling is okay! Your replies make me more confident. I have never painted such a thing, that is why I am a little bit worried about it. I only paint rooms, washrooms and ceilings but I want to upgrade my skills by taking unquie jobs 馃槃馃槃, hopefully I do not ruin them 馃槄馃槄馃槄! Thanks Steve again!
What's the question about spraying? You don't need to backroll or brush on exteriors unless you suck at spraying. Brush and roller is fine and you don't need to brush out the roller either again unless you suck at rolling also.
I do not have a sprayer! I just wanted to knownif rolling it is fine. That is all!

Registered
Unprimed 4x8 - panel siding or similar needs to be back rolled or brushed in -- first time around if sprayed on.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is pre primed siding so I think rolling it and then brushing the grooves would be fine as you first suggested, right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts