Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone-
I make/install outdoor paver lights. But I've invented something and I'm not sure contractors need it or want it. I'm planning to build a small module (2" by 1" by .7") that turns any smartphone or tablet into a
digital multimeter. It is listed on Kickstarter to test the market.

I thought that at $49, my customers would be landscape lighting contractors (or maybe electrical) I haven't pre-sold one to a contractor.
They're all being bought by engineers and computer people. The only
explanation I have is that all of you already have your meters and wouldn't spend money on convenience for a device you already have.

You can see it on Kickstarter or here is a you tube link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJCns6u8kww

Am I flat out barking up the wrong tree? Contractors- please give me an honest opinion of what I'm planning while I still have time to rethink it! Thank you all!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
If it was just a set of leads that plugged into the headphone jack I'd use it, but having to use a wireless meter and a smartphone just to read the meter is pointless...it's needlessly complicated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The measurement module is not a meter, just a tiny box

Thanks for you reply. I just want to make it clear that the wireless module is a tiny little box- you can put it on your keyring and the probes sit inside when not in use. So I want to reiterate- it's not like carrying a meter to get the results on your phone. It's like carrying a matchbox
with probes that turn your phone into a meter.

the Kickstarter site has more pic to make it clearer.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...wireless-digital-multimeter?ref=home_location

I appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Meter maker said:
Thank you. That is just the sort of info we're looking for.
Have you guys tried getting Engadget or similar tech site involved in getting this out there. I may order one on kick starter if it looks close to getting fully funded. been burnt a few times on kickstarter and indiegogo so little more careful now with what I fund. When are the first units expected to ship?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reply to BCC Construction- we're shipping in October.
And for Robert CDF, I hope there are millions like you.
I am a measurement nut- I won 12 multimeters.
I hope I get more input.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Thanks for you reply. I just want to make it clear that the wireless module is a tiny little box- you can put it on your keyring and the probes sit inside when not in use. So I want to reiterate- it's not like carrying a meter to get the results on your phone. It's like carrying a matchbox
with probes that turn your phone into a meter.

the Kickstarter site has more pic to make it clearer.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...wireless-digital-multimeter?ref=home_location

I appreciate the feedback!
Is it anymore compact than a pen meter or a credit card sized pocket meter? Hows the battery life?

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Am I flat out barking up the wrong tree? Contractors- please give me an honest opinion of what I'm planning while I still have time to rethink it! Thank you all!
NO!! You are right on target. Personally I don't know if I would buy one or not due to the fact that it wouldn't give me any extra advantage that I don't already have with my meter..and I'd be more likely to trust the reading of a device that does not have to connect to another device.

BUT this is why you should STILL do it. You see, at least once every couple of weeks I am approached by someone who wants to sell me smartphone apps for my business. 90% of the time its a bunch of crap that I can already do much easier from behind my desk on the PC.

Invariably I tell every nit-wit who wants to sell me their latest app that if they can figure out how to make the end of the TRRS connector interact with the real world in a useful way, I'd buy it.

So even if you don't get rich off of this app, it will shake up what everyone already thinks about smartphone apps.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
If you have a tooltip option(that can be turned off) that describes what each setting does then you're probably going to sell a hell of a lot more of them. My main problem with multimeters is I forget where the hell I'm supposed to set it on the rare occasions I need to use the damn thing.

Contractor's that use multimeters all the time would probably buy it because, for that price, it's worth owning if there's just one time you need a multi and you don't have it. Casual users are an even better market if you make it easier to use than the traditional model.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reply to questions

Reply to Bcc- it is Bluetooth 4.0 with a range of 30 feet.
One of the pics on Kickstarter shows one of our guys shutting off power at a breaker box with the probes in an outlet almost 30 ft away.

Reply to Ted Anderson- thanks- it is pretty close to how we feel.
But, frankly, it is so much effort that we hope to do more than just show
how apps can be more useful as opposed to the frivolous stuff out there today. But who knows?

Battery will be a 3.0 V disk with a battery life of 1 year.
This unit is walking a tightrope- it is far smaller and more portable than anything of equal power. Here are some specs

AC Voltage max 600 VAC Accuracy 1%
DC Voltage max 750 VDC 1%
Frequency 40-400 Hz
AC/DC Current µ to 10 A 1%
Duty Cycle .1-99.9%
Resistance mΩ to 40MΩ 1%
Continuity/Diode Yes

A "penlight" meter has portability but not the power.
Our theory is of course that everyone is carrying a tablet or smart
phone nowadays.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Our theory is of course that everyone is carrying a tablet or smart
phone nowadays.
But if your tool is everything that you want it to be, people will go out and buy a tablet just so they can use your app.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I think it would be great for working on my old Bronco! The nice thing is that I could hook up leads under the hood, and sit on the drivers seat and take readings. Granted Fluke has models with a detachable display, but those cost a lot more. I'de buy one!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts