Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wedge and Feathers

I would have to second FJN, I'm pretty sure Bon Tool's buys them from Trow & Holden.

If any one can help you T&H are the folks!
http://trowandholden.com/store/agora.cgi?product=cat5

Just wondering what are you cutting that is that small? I'm curious if you don't mind me asking.

·
Stone Guy
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No luck so far...t&h has nothing on their website to suit my needs, but I'll give them a call.

Mark, I'm mostly cutting pa bluestone, currently. Trying to see if there is a way to use feather and wedges with material that is half inch to one inch thick.

fjn, I had considered cutting my wedges down....you got me reconsidering it--think I'll give it a try. if i cut the fat end of the feathers down and leave the wedges alone I can get the set both shorter and a bit thinner.

Also, I lost a few wedges before and was left with a lot of feathers and no wedges--so I found a piece of scrap steel and started cutting my own. I may just end up fashioning a whole set, to suit my needs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok have another question? Are you trying to get special effect ? Why wouldn't you do a half or full cut with a saw then just knock off the saw cut with a chisel or hammer? Don't mind me just trying to figure out what your building.

·
Stone Guy
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok have another question? Are you trying to get special effect ? Why wouldn't you do a half or full cut with a saw then just knock off the saw cut with a chisel or hammer? Don't mind me just trying to figure out what your building.
I done me a whole lot of half cuts and full cuts with various diamond blade set-ups. Even bought a wet-saw this year. Still, I'm working to reduce the amount of dusty, noisey saw cuts that I have to make. Blades are expensive. And hiding the saw-cut is fussy sometimes. Glad I have the saws--don't want to use them constantly. Basically, I want to explore every possible way to cut stone that there is. Some of my projects require a lot of cutting.

As for what I'm building right now...I'll show off in the picture forum next month.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hear you on the dust. But diamond blade from Harbor freight only run about $80. Carbide drill bits cost about $15 -/+ so your really not saving to much time is quicker on the saw both will have dust - Unless you get the hose out.. But I do agree trimming off saw cuts is no fun. But drilling to us feather and wedges Rock all day long! The real magic trick if your made of money... would be the CEE-JAY Tool - Stone Mason M50 ( or just the breaker which you could make or have made) http://www.ceejaytool.com/stonemason.html
Or http://www.carter-engineering.com/stonesplitter.htm

Can never have to many tools as I like to say. Or I'll admit Man Toy's... Yes I always need an excuse to buy one. The Portable M50 I'm just waiting for a reason to role that into my fleet. I'll come visit you if you buy one!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
SuperSeal - beautiful photos and masonry work!!! Yup thats on next to do on my list. Come spring its on my to-do list with my local stone yard who will be offering those services to all there customers at no charge. Can't wait to light up - see just how much damage I can do. Thank you for sharing those photos!
Love your signature quote!

·
Stone Guy
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hiding cuts is not my issue....have a torch, hand set, bush hammer, all of that.

Cheap blades from harbor fright? That's got to be a false economy. Comparing the dust from a saw to the dust from a drill--you're kidding me! Drill bit dust stays low....I sweep it up and add it to my compost. Google the term "re-mineralize the earth" to find out why. My veggies grow. Off topic, but stone guys need to eat well :) Anyway, I'm not against using the saw per se`, nor arguing in favor of any particular cutting method--they all have a place. I just want to expand my arsenal a bit.

You're right on about the guillotine splitter though. If things go well for me I'll get the manual powered one from pavetech....and I have drawings for one that I may end up building myself....I find myself with extra cash--buying the pavetech tool. Extra time--making (or trying to) make one of my own design.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Yeah I'd make my own at that size. Old square nails are easy to come by but are usually quite brittle. I sharpen the 3" long ones and keep them for tiny chisels until i loose them or break them. All you really need is a 2 bent pieces of metal and a wedge (and then repeat of course). should be easy enough to make

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I don't find cut nails to be brittle, but if you heat them to bright orange and let them air cool that will soften them up. I think I would use 1/4" flat stock or something harder than EMT for the feathers...though I have never tried it. EMT just seems a bit too soft.

·
Stonemason
659 Posts
This would call for a little experimentation... but just wondering if, with such a small hole size and the thin material, you'd even need the feathers at all? if you used old tapered square nails for example, would that be enough to direct the 'force' in the direction you want it?

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I would think so Bytor. The feathers as I understand it, are just there to keep the wedge from popping out with each blow. The square nails might bite enough into a hard stone to stay put, especially if you aren't wailing on it.

You could also try to master the japanese style of splitting stone that Stonecutter has posted somewhere in his blog, shallow hole, 1/2" for a 6" thick stone or something , and some point type things.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts