Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
That Dewalt doesnt seem like that much of a bargin in comparison with the Midi. The only review I read was sort of negative about power and noise would be a concern.

What really burns my blood with Festool is they give you nothing. I looked a picking up a sander and the midi.....then I find out you get like a piece of sand paper and the vacuum doesnt even come with a nozzle much less a bag.

So now I need to add money into that set up just to use it. Clening kit, sand paper...ridiculous.

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
What was it $600 and they gave you a bag and a hose. Now you get to only use thier products for the life of the tool. Its a downside in my book

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
No one's used something like this?

http://www.ivacswitch.com/index.action
this one could be a good tool .i have used one from rockler [just burned up] and several of the sears ones .they seem to burn up . they are one more thing to carry one more thing to hook up .but yes i use them .generally on a stationary set-up like the mitersaw .i do not like switching hoses and cords every time i need to trim something .you can also get little remote switches for about 30 bucks ,buy them at a home supply in the lighting area .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have you any of you used/seen the Metabo vac?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_611537-78551-ASR35ACP_0__?productId=50208773
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Metabo-9-gal-All-Purpose-Vacuum-with-Auto-Clean-Filter-ASR35ACP/205392500

Looks good on paper, has autoclean, auto-tool start, etc. for $200 less than what Festool wants for their AC vac. Thinkin' about getting this to replace my CT26.

It says it runs 10 seconds after tool shutoff too, which is one of my biggest complaints about the Festool (which lasts ~a second after you turn the tool off).

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Once you get used to how quiet it is, you will never go back to the other shop type vacs.
Its so quiet I was on the ph yesterday closing a customer and vacuuming the shop after a cutting / sanding cedar for about 4hrs. You don't need ac for mdf. Cedar is ipe are probably just as fine and nothing gets out. Ps I finally got to put in the non hepa on my midi. It feels stronger. Next is side by side with my 36ac. Also ran it for a while with just the bag actually about 2bags worth of cedar and no effect what so ever. Nothing passed through the bag.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Have you any of you used/seen the Metabo vac?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_611537-78551-ASR35ACP_0__?productId=50208773
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Metabo-9-gal-All-Purpose-Vacuum-with-Auto-Clean-Filter-ASR35ACP/205392500

Looks good on paper, has autoclean, auto-tool start, etc. for $200 less than what Festool wants for their AC vac. Thinkin' about getting this to replace my CT26.

It says it runs 10 seconds after tool shutoff too, which is one of my biggest complaints about the Festool (which lasts ~a second after you turn the tool off).
Metabo is good. But how do you stack festi sys and the hose is all over the place in transport. Good for shop dedicated. Dewalt has a nice one for 300. Its strong but again nothing fits on it.

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
40,510 Posts
Its so quiet I was on the ph yesterday closing a customer and vacuuming the shop after a cutting / sanding cedar for about 4hrs. You don't need ac for mdf. Cedar is ipe are probably just as fine and nothing gets out. Ps I finally got to put in the non hepa on my midi. It feels stronger. Next is side by side with my 36ac. Also ran it for a while with just the bag actually about 2bags worth of cedar and no effect what so ever. Nothing passed through the bag.
If you're not needing the Hepa you might as well go with this. this is my setup.

It's the sponge type filter for wet pickup. Less restrictive then even the standard filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
They actually make a top for it, it seems, called the Metadepot? Looks like we can't get it here though.

http://mafell-users-forum.freeforums.net/thread/165/width-systainer-starmix-mafell-metabo

Hmm, maybe it's a different model vac too.

Check out the link I posted though, Tom Gensmer retrofitted a SYS-CART to the top and seems to work well.

edit: looks like you have to click to see, no linking to competitor websites I guess.
Look at that, a vacuum that comes with an attachment so you can actually vacuum......of course the downside is they are probably less servicable/readily avaiable than Festool

·
Registered
77 Posts
Heh, I know what you mean. I just bought the $88 Festool kit of nozzles, kinda makes me feel stupid.

I don't know anything about their service department, I did find I could find a lot of Metabo parts on eReplacementParts though (for the paint remover I bought in pretty rough shape).

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
That Dewalt doesnt seem like that much of a bargin in comparison with the Midi. The only review I read was sort of negative about power and noise would be a concern.

What really burns my blood with Festool is they give you nothing. I looked a picking up a sander and the midi.....then I find out you get like a piece of sand paper and the vacuum doesnt even come with a nozzle much less a bag.

So now I need to add money into that set up just to use it. Clening kit, sand paper...ridiculous.
Th bags are pretty competitively priced with everyone else out there. A pack of 5 bags is like 30 bucks, ridgid bags are over 7 bucks a piece, and they are terrible. The sand paper isn't too poorly priced either. it's about 50c a piece, same as freud, seems to last quite a bit longer too.

My rotex came with a sample pack of 30-600 something grit and a sample piece of the 2000 grit platin.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I had two bosch ones,3931pb?, I sold one to my brother, the other I just dumped at goodwill, along with a Hilti vcd50 with broken switch. They were taking up room and I'm paying for storage/downsizing.
I ended up using vac022 bags on the bosch, worked pretty well. The pulse clean is n/a with the bag since dust doesn't reach the filters.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Look at that, a vacuum that comes with an attachment so you can actually vacuum......of course the downside is they are probably less servicable/readily avaiable than Festool
Metabo is based in west Chester pa usa. They have service available. Youll most likely never need it.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts