Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Builder of Stuff
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Vermont, bidding on a roof replacement involving a large skylight. The existing skylight is roughly 6’ x 6’. It doesn’t open, but it does leak like a screen door on a submarine. The owner wants a skylight that A. doesn’t leak and B. opens to allow some hot air to escape the room. A small sunroom with a 6’ square skylight gets pretty damned hot, as you can imagine.
Well obviously, you can’t even buy a 6’ skylight let alone a 6’ skylight that opens. I am discussing replacing it with two smaller units, installed side by side. My concern is that if I place these things side by side with just framing between them, I leave a channel of about 4’ between the two. That’s a great place for snow and ice to build up. And skylights are already leak prone. My instincts tell me that I need to have something like 12” between the two lights. Anyone have input or opinions?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Skylights can come in a lot bigger sizes than that.

Don't tell me they don't make custom builds in the good ol US of A anymore...

I would really try and avoid the channel thingy, and track down a reputable skylight maker to suit your needs.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I know for fact you can call Velux and they will custom size for certain skylights. What is the exact size of the opening? What pitch is the roof? The pitch determines what kind of skylight needs to be installed. Less than 15 degree pitch you will need a curb mounted skylight, over 15 degrees and you can use a deck mounted skylight. (This is based on Velux skylights) Velux sells gang flashing kits for the products as well. This allows you to flash skylights together with one piece. It's just a matter of getting the opening size and fitting them best, if you decide to go that route. If you would rather put on skylight back, just call Velux, or stop a supplier, and see what they offer in the size needed. If you have leakage problems with skylights, you aren’t flashing them correctly. Revise your install method, or brand you’re installing.

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Ganged units are easier and cheaper
to repair/reglaze if damaged as well.
Stock sizes make for quicker parts orders.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I vote Velux too. Roto or Anderson units are inferior with their rubber gasket seals in my opinion.

I've ganged many 21" wide units and build my own channel using coil stock. Just bend a U shaped piece to run the length in between the units. Totally leak proof!

·
Builder of Stuff
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See, I called Velux and they told me to call a dealer. I called the local Velux dealer, and they laughed when I asked them if I could get something anywhere near 6'x6'.

I have never installed a skylight that leaked. But a big farking whole in a roof -- well flashed or otherwise -- is not the kind of place to blaze ahead with any kind of "this MIGHT work" plans.

Thanks, everyone, for your inputs. I got an e-mail from the guy today implying that he's going with another contractor so I'm not putting anymore time into it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Too bad bro, that's happening a lot here lately... but maybe next time. Just remember, mom said there'd be days like this. It cant last forever and next time comes sooner than you think. You got good responses on this one... glad i read it. The biggest skylight i ever installed was a Velux 4'x8' fixed. And i swear to god i put it up on the roof by myself. was a 7 foot gutter height from the wrap around deck on a gambrel roof... i used a couple 2x4's and some leverage, a prop and a bunch of prayers... wish i had that on video too!!!!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I tried posting this the other day but it would not work. This photograph is of some skylights we isntalled on a project in Riverwoods, IL. Previously it was a 9' wide curb that was a tremendous ice dam since water ice and debris could not drain around the skylights.

What got some custom sized velux FCM skylights and built up curbs, then did a custom skylight flashing between the skylights creating a channel for water, snow and debris to drain. This is especially helpful in our Chicago winters.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Young buck your dealers are idiots. Velux will make skylights 72" x 72" in the FCM series. By my math, that's 6' x 6'.

I've called and got quotes from Velux on many occassions and all they did was fax the quot to my supplier who added on their markup LOL. But I do this when I need a price for something specialty, since I often know more about the skylights than my suppliers.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
See, I called Velux and they told me to call a dealer. I called the local Velux dealer, and they laughed when I asked them if I could get something anywhere near 6'x6'.

I have never installed a skylight that leaked. But a big farking whole in a roof -- well flashed or otherwise -- is not the kind of place to blaze ahead with any kind of "this MIGHT work" plans.

Thanks, everyone, for your inputs. I got an e-mail from the guy today implying that he's going with another contractor so I'm not putting anymore time into it.
Did you look on the Velux website?
This interweb stuff is keen. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Being that they are made on LI, Insula Domes are the most common brand around. They are excellent units with a welded Aluminum frame and heavy soldered copper flashing. They will probably make anything you want as well. I have probably installed about 30 of them over the years with not 1 callback.

http://www.insula-dome.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts