Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im looking to start a small woodshop for personal use. Im thinking of getting a nicer table saw than the bosch Contractor saw I have. I was looking at the Harvey line. My biggest problem is its made in China. Any thoughts on a brand/model or the Harvey line? Also a 6in jointer

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hey guys Im looking to start a small woodshop for personal use. Im thinking of getting a nicer table saw than the bosch Contractor saw I have. I was looking at the Harvey line. My biggest problem is its made in China. Any thoughts on a brand/model or the Harvey line? Also a 6in jointer
Look for a used delta or general, powermatic with a besmeyer type fence. You can always change out the bearings and up grade the motor if you have a good foundation. On the jointer, same. Also get the longest and widest bed you can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Messilla is right, Delta and Powermatic are great saws (not as much experience with General myself but I’ve heard good things) even used and you can find some great deals on them if you look around, maybe even close to what you paid for the Bosch.

I am not aware of any decent, cheap jointers short of finding a deal. I would definitely recommend looking for a good used one and or something that could be tuned up depending on your time and budget. I was working with tight budget myself and after 6 months of looking I got my hands on a used but solid 12” medium duty Northfield for $750. Even with a lot of evenings and weekends spent cleaning and painting and tuning it was a heck of a deal, those jointers are around 12k new and it’s not hard to spend 3 or 4 used.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,500 Posts
Get something older, look in the used sections. Get a 3 or 5 HP 10 or 12" tablesaw. You can find them in single phase 230 but it's easier to find them in 3 phase, you'd need a converter though.

As for a 6" jointer It's good for edging. I have an 8" and it's barely adequate for facing because of the limited width. Again go used and see if you can upgrade. It'll make life easier in the long run. But it really depends on the projects you are going to tackle. Small furniture and things a 6" might work. When you start building paneling and larger flat stock it's nice to be able to do 6-10" wide stock.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,500 Posts
No substitute for a tablesaw. But then again a tablesaw isn't a substitute for a tracksaw.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
You can spend more on a quality fence than what a good used saw costs. Best deal would be a solid brand name saw with a quality fence. They are out there. You just need to do your homework. Don't overlook local auctions as a resource.

·
Registered
13,817 Posts
In the past few months I got the Harvey Alpha 4HP, much better than the Laguna I have. The blades are made by Lietz, the cut in solids is almost as good as a track saw cut.

Took me awhile to get past the Made in China but I needed to do something.

Tom

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
i have a sawstop .love it . that being said i had a makita in a folding stand [still have it] and it is just fine .really dought the saw stop is an actual game changer in cut quality for most of what i do. Accept dust collection and the safety aspect . With that 8 1/4 makita I can put a good blade and get great results .
That 8" jointer though that I really I find more important .Had an old craftsmen 6" ,pain in the ass to change blades ,to small and i kept having to find new motors . I say use your contractor table saw and put the space and money in the jointer .
Guess it depends on how you use it and what for .will you have dust collection ,what kinds of other tools are you going to be using .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts