Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here like working by yourself doing mostly smaller jobs that take a day/a few days to do, or do most people here work with employees or co workers and prefer larger jobs? ... just curious.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I love large jobs, but working hard on small jobs can create larger job referalls

·
Registered
156 Posts
1 man show but have a 1 man sub that works with me every day. I like a different job every week but large job sercurity is nice. We do 1 day door replacments to 1500 sf additions.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
I'm a one man show also. I do like it this way but sometimes wish I had some help to be able to complete jobs quicker.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Trying to do a number of small jobs in a day will kill you unless you only work in very upscale neighborhoods.
Here, today, you would have to gross $300 a day just to make ends meet. At $500 a day you're making some profit.
I learned this the hard way, I started as a one man band.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Cubevan you described my work exactly. I've only been at this since late last year and almost all my jobs are 1-3 days. But that is my own fault because you get what you advertise for.

On the flip side I will say that these small jobs are extremely profitable and have lead to lots of repeat business, I'm back for my 3rd job for some of these people, and you know how profitable repeat business can be since you are the only one quoting the job!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I guess most the jobs I do are 1-3 day range, but since we're professionals our 1-3 day range is the average homies month. I like the in and out jobs since it's fast cash so long as you have them stacked and can go onto the next, etc...

I like the larger 1-2 week projects cuz it gives me the safe fuzzy feeling in my gut that I actually have a place to "go to work" everyday, but by the second week I lose a little motivation/start getting bored since I like change.

I used to think years ago when I subbed, why would anybody turn down these quick in and out jobs, well after selling some sizable projects "to me" and the profit margin, I now understand why "most guys" just pass the smaller jobs along the food chain. I try to take on anything since it's easy to squeeze a small one here or there for fillers.

I like working alone so I dont have to baby sit or worry about somebody screwing up material/property, but I have no problem subbing work out and giving subs a hand either, it's nice to have other folks to talk with on a job other than the homie so we can share business stories and the like.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Money is best on the 1-4 wk jobs. Based on exp. since 1974.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts