Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Small deck with different post mounts.

4K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  Calidecks 
#1 ·
Here's a deck I finished today, where I used metal posts and when you can't run wood posts through framing.

Wall Wood Facade House Window

Roof

Machine Wood

Property Handrail Deck Baluster Building

Hardwood Deck Floor Wood flooring Wood

Property Balcony Window Real estate Home

See less See more
#8 ·
BlueRidgeGreen said:
If those things pass the "Six Cocktail Rule", I'll be testing them on my own deck real soon. Looks nice.....and easy.
They are very strong.

I have no doubt about your "Six Cocktail Rule" But then again I don't know what that is. By all means please splain. :laughing:

#10 ·
You know how people get.

We figure every railing has to be at least strong enough for some drunk, uncoordinated moron to hang off of or fall into after 6 Long Islands.......even if he weighs 350.

I personally haven't seen those days in a couple decades. Falling and such.

They just look pretty stout and I have a deck I'm designing for myself where they would be perfect. Clean look and they seem like an easy install to boot.

Been wanting to ask you. How do you find that the white composite decks hold up in terms of color and relative stain resistance?

#11 ·
BlueRidgeGreen said:
You know how people get. We figure every railing has to be at least strong enough for some drunk, uncoordinated moron to hang off of or fall into after 6 Long Islands.......even if he weighs 350. I personally haven't seen those days in a couple decades. Falling and such. They just look pretty stout and I have a deck I'm designing for myself where they would be perfect. Clean look and they seem like an easy install to boot. Been wanting to ask you. How do you find that the white composite decks hold up in terms of color and relative stain resistance?
To be honest with you BlueRidge, I've never installed a white composite. Most white decking is a PVC. However, I hear they are very blinding, especially when your near lot of glass. There are a lot of good light colored cap stocks out there these days to choose from. My opinion is to stay somewhere in between dark and light. Because if it's too dark it will get scorching hot. That may not be a concern in other parts of the country but here in S. Cal it can get up to 107 degrees.

#18 ·
I hadn't really even considered the heat and light effect.

I was thinking all about aesthetics. Those considerations makes a lot of sense, even in VA. SouthEast corner to boot.
After looking at even that small deck, the decking color seems not to matter so much as the railing and skirts.

Maybe a Stonewall Grey.

Thanks.

#15 ·
ScipioAfricanus said:
Why doesn't Trex keep up on the ESR reports I wonder? 1190 expired last year. Some AHJs will still accept but some will not. The only report I can find for Azek is a CCRR report, Costa Mesa does not want to accept that but San Clemente did. Andy.
I have no idea. I have brought this up at the guru meetings with them. They act like their concerned, but then nothing gets fixed. We shouldn't have problems with the Mission Viejo job will we, since we're getting engineering?

By the way I'm meeting the HO in the morning to sign and I should be ready for you by Monday or Tuesday.

#17 · (Edited)
ScipioAfricanus said:
Well I think we could get the engineer to sign off on the ESR report because it is out of date but we may not have to. I will talk to MV BD before hand. By the way the flame spread on the Trex is under 200 making it class "C" fire rated which I think would be fine for the High fire hazard area it might or might not be in. Andy.
According to the Orange County Fire Authority they said we fall under the exemption of R327 of the CRC. Therefore we have no special building restrictions. But if we do, Trex has a proper rating. After that fire that wiped out 600 manufactured homes, I submitted to get all of them replaced with Trex and it was approved by the the state Building officials. It will ignite but it puts itself out.

#19 ·
Californiadecks said:
I have no idea. I have brought this up at the guru meetings with them. They act like their concerned, but then nothing gets fixed. We shouldn't have problems with the Mission Viejo job will we, since we're getting engineering? By the way I'm meeting the HO in the morning to sign and I should be ready for you by Monday or Tuesday.
Well I signed a new contract this morning and my HO met me at a Starbucks in this

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Rolls-royce ghost

Land vehicle Vehicle Luxury vehicle Car Rolls-royce ghost

He said if I like his Rolls Royce I'm really going to like his Lamborghini.

#20 ·
Well I signed a new contract this morning and my HO met me at a Starbucks in this

He said if I like his Rolls Royce I'm really going to like his Lamborghini.
Don't they know we atleast double the price if they meet us in any car worth over 200k.

One of my teachers in college told us a story about meeting a guy in c.t. at his house who flew in on a $10,000,000 helicopter. He said that he was charging 30 a man hour back then and they guy asked him what he charged he said 120 a man hour. Got the job and everything

#21 ·
Same but Different. Not a car but a show of ass ets just the same.

On a bid I was met by a tall girl dressed in an LBD, CFM heels and a low neck top. She clicked around the old deck bending over any chance she got.

I got the info I needed but back in the truck I remembered my bid book was still out on the deck. When I knocked on the door again She had already changed to jeans.

I put $800 on top of the bid for all Her trouble. Turned out she was an Army recruiter, god help those young men.

JonMon

#22 · (Edited)
ScipioAfricanus said:
Well I think we could get the engineer to sign off on the ESR report because it is out of date but we may not have to. I will talk to MV BD before hand. By the way the flame spread on the Trex is under 200 making it class "C" fire rated which I think would be fine for the High fire hazard area it might or might not be in. Andy.
Just to correct the record, Trex Transcends decking has since been listed with the fire Marshal as a class "B" flame spread rating and is acceptable for WUI
( wild-land Urban Interface) standards, in Cali. In other words it can be installed in the most hazardous fire areas in California as long as the structure meets the same criteria.

#23 ·
Just to correct the record, Trex Transcends decking has since been listed with the fire Marshal as a class "B" flame spread rating and is acceptable for WUI
( wild-land Urban Interface) standards, in Cali. In other words it can be installed in the most hazardous fire areas in California as long as the structure meets the same criteria.
Hmm... structure that has a high fire rating... I think I know a guy who does that...

#24 ·
RobertCDF said:
Hmm... structure that has a high fire rating... I think I know a guy who does that...

Metal framing is recommended for Fire Severity zones. Also I might add you can use "heavy timbers" which one city made me use 6x10 joists that were only spanned 8'.
When we were all finished it didn't look too bad.

Here's a couple Pics of it.

This balcony was built after the original one burned down, in the biggest fire in Yorba Linda's history.

Property Roof Ceiling Architecture Building

Property Home House Building Real estate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.