Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a work order dispatch about some cracked tiles at a bank in town.

Show up and here they are

I knew there must be something wrong under the tile for the cracks to be in a line like that.

Indeed there was something wrong:eek:

Was working after hours on Friday and Saturday and they had to be open Monday so I put the new tiles on thinking if they want the crack fixed, 5 tiles will be the least of their worries.

Next day grouted

Told the manager about the crack in the slab. "Oh, we know, that's why the tiles keep cracking, but we don't care.":blink:

Ok, well I'll keep coming to fix them then if you like.

Still can hardly believe they gave me my own key to the bank:blink::clap:

Just out of curiosity, when they call me back to fix the tile again, is there a way to patch/fix this easily?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,885 Posts
Install a couple of tiles withdraw some ching....Nice job.

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This place is good for a couple few mini jobs a month...

Installed a piece of weatherstrip on a door (they had the strip), 1/2 hr at lunch, 150 bux

Check toilets to see if they run, wiggle handles for a few min each at lunch, 150 bux

Turn a few slats on the blinds so they face the right way, couple min at lunch, 150 bux

Replace 5 tiles (they had the tile), 300 bux (300 is the max I'm allowed to just go ahead and do, anything over needs to be submitted for approval.)

and so on

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If they like your service so much, request to sign some permanent contracts with them granting/securing you to EXCLUSIVE (handymen-type) frequent call services to avoid other contractors stealing your spot-light later. Good deal!! :thumbsup: (well ofcourse, giving you a "Key" is already in some form of "Oral" contract to me?)

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Can you set this up on a regular 3 month schedule? You could go in Saturday nights, have it finished by the time they open monday morning, charge quadruple time for night work.........................

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
This place is good for a couple few mini jobs a month...

Installed a piece of weatherstrip on a door (they had the strip), 1/2 hr at lunch, 150 bux

Check toilets to see if they run, wiggle handles for a few min each at lunch, 150 bux

Turn a few slats on the blinds so they face the right way, couple min at lunch, 150 bux

Replace 5 tiles (they had the tile), 300 bux (300 is the max I'm allowed to just go ahead and do, anything over needs to be submitted for approval.)

and so on
I love, love, love doing commercial/retail repairs for just this reason. Low stress, guaranteed 30 day payment.

A little tip here. Don't get intimidated by the 300 max. Yes, don't do anything above that without their consent, but don't be afraid to give them a call if you think it will be $500, they will usually give you an okay over the phone for that amount. Anything over that, they need a quote, but they almost always approve it if it needs to be done. Retail repair is so nice...all the tough work is done, (the organizing, selling, gathering materials, meeting after meeting....) You just have to show up and fix the problem.

Treat your client like gold, and it will serve you well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Anyway of pulling up a few more tile and trying to put an isolation membrane in? Would have to deal w/ height variance....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts