Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Removing a cast iron tub? No problem... all you need is a 3 lb hammer and ear and eye protection and swing away. I tried once... ONCE... to remove a cast iron tub in one piece, and my back still hurts.

That's pretty much the first thing I tell em, is that the tub will come out in pieces, and you're welcome to take it to the scrap dealer and get about $50, otherwise I'm giving it to a local guy that wants it.

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Removing a cast iron tub? No problem... all you need is a 3 lb hammer and ear and eye protection and swing away. I tried once... ONCE... to remove a cast iron tub in one piece, and my back still hurts.

That's pretty much the first thing I tell em, is that the tub will come out in pieces, and you're welcome to take it to the scrap dealer and get about $50, otherwise I'm giving it to a local guy that wants it.
Just don't hit the nearby toilet on a backswing like one of my guys did. :rolleyes:

Looks great tho!!!!

Good work.

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I tried a 4 lb hammer, all it would do is bounce off and knock the enamel off of the tub. I ended up with the 10 pounder and scary huge swings to get that thing to break.:eek:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Next time try a roto hammer on hammer only with a bull point chisel.

It at least gives you a starting point. I would imagine even a small sds would work...

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Great job. I know the feeling about enjoying smashing a tub every once and a while. I wear more than eye protection. Large chunks go flying sometimes! I like to put a blanket over the tub.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
I tried a 4 lb hammer, all it would do is bounce off and knock the enamel off of the tub. I ended up with the 10 pounder and scary huge swings to get that thing to break.:eek:
Just took one out with a framing hammer. Get a set and hit the thing.

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
Great job. I know the feeling about enjoying smashing a tub every once and a while. I wear more than eye protection. Large chunks go flying sometimes! I like to put a blanket over the tub.
I like the blanket idea. I had a friend show me the proper way to break one up. Knowing the vulnerable areas of the tub is key. He stood inside the tub and directed short swings at key points. I think between the overflow and the drain was the first break. Then he moved to the sides towards the drain. In less than 5 minutes, it was in about 12 manageable pieces.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
I like the blanket idea. I had a friend show me the proper way to break one up. Knowing the vulnerable areas of the tub is key. He stood inside the tub and directed short swings at key points. I think between the overflow and the drain was the first break. Then he moved to the sides towards the drain. In less than 5 minutes, it was in about 12 manageable pieces.
We start on the middle of the outside near the bottom and work our way up. Knock out the top then work your way down the inside. Once you are at the base move to the wall side just below the 2x4 ledger and each down that side across the base to the other break.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Small bathrooms take aslong as big bathrooms not time wise just days, you work yourself out of work too fast!!! Mud, waiting to dry paint waiting to dry!!!

Atleast I got my tub free and had the Ho drag it out do I could take it too the scrap yard , just enough to pay my gas!!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts