Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Eco, with those kind of questions still haunting you I'm not certain you should blast it at all. Might want to get some experience if that belongs to a customer. As far as price we are not able to speak about specific price in the forum. We will talk about media usage and time and such that can help a more experienced guy predict his costs. Not sure what you mean about blasting a piece at a time. If you are qualified to remove the doors, fenders, glass hood... then you can get the edges so that would make for a more complete job but that's a lot of extra work to charge for.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Betterblast said:
Eco, with those kind of questions still haunting you I'm not certain you should blast it at all. Might want to get some experience if that belongs to a customer. As far as price we are not able to speak about specific price in the forum. We will talk about media usage and time and such that can help a more experienced guy predict his costs. Not sure what you mean about blasting a piece at a time. If you are qualified to remove the doors, fenders, glass hood... then you can get the edges so that would make for a more complete job but that's a lot of extra work to charge for.
I have to agree with Glen on this...

Is the car for a customer or is it yours?
From your post I'm thinking it's for a customer

My customers take apart what they want blasted
But in the end it's up to them to have it ready

Blasting times can be all over the place as it depends on the size of your equipment and skill

Someone is doing this full time could take 3 to 5 hours
Or someone doing it with a small setup could take days

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to agree with Glen on this...

Is the car for a customer or is it yours?
From your post I'm thinking it's for a customer

My customers take apart what they want blasted
But in the end it's up to them to have it ready

Blasting times can be all over the place as it depends on the size of your equipment and skill

Someone is doing this full time could take 3 to 5 hours
Or someone doing it with a small setup could take days
Thanks guys for your input. .I'll be using 260 IR GB400 150 mesh garnet..as long as I stay back @ 30-40 psi and keep the nozzle at an angle and moving I should be good...this is for a customer he's fully awear this is my first vehicle....I think we should be good as long as we take it slow.

·
2,018 Posts
Ecostrip were are you from
It's nice to have your location in your profile

260 is good, what I run

Start out at low psi, play and try
Turn it up to you feel comfortable

I run dry on regular panels at 80 psi and keep my distance
Hoods,roofs and other flat areas turn psi down and move around a lot, don't try to do it all at once

·
2,018 Posts
EcoStrip said:
@Dyer im located in Central Ma 30 miles West of Boston Worcester..thanks for your input very informative Joe.
My nephew was at the Spaulding hospital a few years back when he broke his back
Drove down that way every weekend for almost a year

·
2,018 Posts
EcoStrip said:
Thanks guys for your input. .I'll be using 260 IR GB400 150 mesh garnet..as long as I stay back @ 30-40 psi and keep the nozzle at an angle and moving I should be good...this is for a customer he's fully awear this is my first vehicle....I think we should be good as long as we take it slow.
On track

·
Registered
21 Posts
For the panels we like to use GL 40 olivine , and switch to coarser aluminum silicate for the chassis work.

I highly suggest when working on detailed, complex or sensitive surfaces that you charge by the hour.

When you charge by the hour the customers like to float around, which is really annoying. But when you are blasting their baby, sometimes only blasting where they tell you is an insurance policy.

It's a dirty industry and i'm not talking about the dust and grit.

EDIT: SOlid advice above to start from low pressure, then to slowly increase.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I already had a customer think he was going to be in the booth with me helping and loading my pot.
Not a fan of by the hour. I find you do it too quick because you have experience and good equipment and maybe a light coating and then you don't get paid. Flip side can be that you are telling them too much information. Now they know exactly how long you say it took and they always know a friend who had one blasted in half that time and maybe you are too slow or you use the wrong media... like they have any idea. I absolutely never tell the custy how long it took. It isn't their concern.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts