Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys used these? I never had till I moved out here 12 years ago. Not too common here anymore either but this is a building to create three service bays for the Mercedes Sprinter and we're matching the original look from when the dealership was built.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just finished a house on the beach which I'll try to get some pictures of - a lot of brick steps, pavers, chimneys etc.

But jumped right into this slump block job which is 95'x38' and aprox 27 feet high. I'll post some pictures as I go I just grouted the first lift yesterday and will do some waterproofing and backfilling then start scaffold, probably be back laying Wed morning.

Here's view from inside and detail of the floor dowels.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Your work looks awesome :thumbsup: We don't have any block like that here, but they make a nice looking job. I;m looking forward to seeing more pictures.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Oh yeah, used to lay tons of those out in AZ.....never liked the looks of them much, but boy do they go up fast.

@Brickhook, as I recall, they're only 4" high, made to (poorly) mimic Adobe, a lot lighter than an 8.....but from the pics, those almost look like starters......???

Nice job dbrons :thumbsup:

·
Registered
172 Posts
dbrons said:
Have you guys used these? I never had till I moved out here 12 years ago. Not too common here anymore either but this is a building to create three service bays for the Mercedes Sprinter and we're matching the original look from when the dealership was built.
yup they are pretty easy to lay but we only use them like you said to match older previous work

·
Registered
677 Posts
dbrons said:
About 6/7 years ago I did a job for a company I was working for and we did a job for Mercedes in Whitby Ontario. and build a garbage enclosure in a block very similar to these, if I remember, they where very front facing heavy.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Over here (N.W. Indiana) back in the day,there were a bunch of companys that produced them. Every Taco Bell in the area used them to build their stores. Now they used Dryvit.:mad: And nobody makes them.

And like Rockmonster said,they were made as 1/2 highs. 4" height.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
They can make slump block 3-5/8" high or 5-5/8" high. If they are for 8" thick walls, they are made at the rate of 1000 units per hour. They are also available in some area in 4" and 6" wall thickness.

They are not molded in that shape. they are slightly too high and pressed to the desired height by a heated plate (to prevent sticking) while still wet to create the bulge and slumping.

They are cheap to lay because of the rustic wall desired, but a plant must have absolute control over the amount of water in the mix to get a uniform bulge. The size/gradation of the aggregate is even more critical. The face shells are slightly thicker to get the right bulge and they are usually slighly heavier than half or three-quarter high block of the same thickness.

Reactions: Rio

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Got these aluminum dual I beams with pole shoring for the big openings. I was unsure that we could fit the #7 rebar with two sets of side by side, plus I wanted to get something in writing so, with the super, we called the engineer and he sent an email approving #7 with one in each course, increasing them to 6. So six bond beams in a row with a #7, passing through the 4 sevens that run up each jamb. They overlap 72d which is 5'3"

We also install "candy canes" (hook bars) made from #5 rebar in each cell. After all six bondbeams, we pull up the candy canes hooking onto the bottom horizontal, and tie to the top. Our "typical steel" a #6 every 16" will be dropped in prior to grouting.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

completed lift

plumbers conveniently cored a couple holes through the wall so we pass the grout hose through.

this is grouting the previous lift. We are getting inspection and grouting again on Monday.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Your project turned out awesome ! :thumbsup: 95% of the commercial jobs here are split face block. I like the look of the block you used.

Thanks for the pictures!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like it, with that flag in top all i can think of is the alamo for some reason
lol, yeah the slump is supposed to look like adobe :) And thanks all, it's kind of a fun job - interesting but not too tough. Actually I've got 6 feet to go with a "soldier course" up top. I'll post a few more pictures when we're done. Lots of steel inbeds to install.
Dave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts