Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The HO, cant hate her shes older and sweet, bought 10 Blowes 6 panel door slabs ($19.97 each). Cut em on 3 sides to fit existing frames etc. Towards the end down to an hour each. I noticed at the end of the day I had over over a grand worth of tools out working on $20 doors :sad:

This seems to be where I'm at for the moment. Least I'm working.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
If it keeps you out of the pool halls
and away from the bad crowd.....:laughing:

·
Banned
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd bust out about 3k in tools and be done before lunch. And not have a mess.

Those kinds of things suck, some people dont get that ordering the right doors is a lot cheaper in the long run.
I'm the new kid in town and have never lived off of anything other then word of mouth (not saying thats smart). Never done "door replacement" either. Yeah I would do it your way next time, didnt know, know now. Its never ends with the learning.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I charge $55 per slab installed when there are a bunch of them. Usually just do prehungs.

Silly to put that much effort into a $20 slab. If people only realized that it is more work to use cheap materials ---GRRRRRRR

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
I have done a few door replacements and have always used a local trim/door supply company who machines the door and jamb - they will assemble it as well, but we normally do that on site in case we need to shorten the jambs. I think I pay about $80.00 per door (with jamb and stop). The best was a client who wanted 5 sets of large bifold closet doors switched to slabs. It was an easy job with the pre-machined jambs/doors.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
A a teenager, I learned how to hang a slab from my father. I actually enjoy the opportunity to practice the skill. Especially with the same equipment I learned with.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
LONE FRAMER--Nice, very nice ,REALLY NICE. I'd wrestle a gorilla to get a set up as nice as that.!!!
Thanks man, My father gave me that a few months before he passed. I installed many deadbolt locks with him back in the early 80s with that fixture. Deadbolts were all the rage at that time.
I'd biotch slap a gorilla and spit in his eye before I part with that kit.:w00t::laughing:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
A a teenager, I learned how to hang a slab from my father. I actually enjoy the opportunity to practice the skill. Especially with the same equipment I learned with.:thumbsup:
What ever happened to the power cord? Or the motor for that matter?

·
Banned
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One thing that I learned from the job was something I had forgotten, bore the handle holes from both sides and you dont need a guide to do it, just cut the f**king hole from both sides. A guide is a complete waste of time & money.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
One thing that I learned from the job was something I had forgotten, bore the handle holes from both sides and you dont need a guide to do it, just cut the f**king hole from both sides. A guide is a complete waste of time & money.
That there is just silly.

If you are going to do much of this type of work it would be in your best interest to procure some jigs. You don't have to buy the spendy ones if you can't afford them. You can make some of your own.

You make one mistake on an expensive door that would have been avoided with a jig. Badda bing badda boom you have wasted your jig money on a door blank.

If you find yourself doing production work hanging door blanks the time you will save will repay our investment as well.

Why you gotta get a tool junkie's dander all up like that? Am I alone here? I'm not looking forward to beating this concept into his head all by myself.:laughing:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
That is a matter of opinion. For me, setting the fixture takes about 10 seconds, then I can bore the holes with no fear of drilling an off center or out of square hole in either direction. The fixture wont allow it to happen, nor will the door blow out from drilling straight through, although I don't do it to protect my bit. As for cost, free is not a waste of money by any definition.:laughing:

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I have the fixture set...if I remember, I will take a picture of it. It has been several years since I had to bore a lock set, or get out the hinge guides for the router, but it is the only accurate way to do it correctly. Who still uses a hinge template set up?

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
I have the fixture set...if I remember, I will take a picture of it. It has been several years since I had to bore a lock set, or get out the hinge guides for the router, but it is the only accurate way to do it correctly. Who still uses a hinge template set up?
I have the porter cable hinge jig. Since I bought it for doing just this type of work it has saved me countless hours. and the hinges always match exactly where the old hinges were. I have old hinges screwed to blocks of wood that I use to set the jig on the jamb. Dead nuts hinge location every time.
I do use a cheapo door boring jig but it has paid for itself many times over.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts