Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
On the motor speed question (cutting tempered glass is a different matter) Yes, you can, and No, it won't damage/shorten the life of the motor. You want a PWM (pulse width modulated) Motor Speed Control. Rather than reducing voltage (which reduces torque and shortens the motor's life), a pwm speed control provides full voltage, but not 100% of the time. Picture riding a skateboard on level ground - kick frequently and you go fast, kick occasionally and you go slow, but fast or slow, the kicks are done with the same force.

Rockler Woodworking has one for routers that will probably work for you (3HP/20a max) for $50. I don't have link-posting rights yet, but go to rockler.com and search for "router speed control". You can also find a 20A controller in kit form (assembled circuit - you supply a case and the AC cords in/out)for as low as about $30 dollars, if you wanted to build it into the saw housing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jeff thanks for a clear explanation. I might go to this too and just vary pulse widths to control RPMs. Very good! Now will this work with a GFC circuit or will the pulses trip the GFC?

---
Ken
I've never tried one on a GFCI, so I couldn't swear to it -- but it shouldn't be a problem. A PWM is like flipping a light switch on and off really fast.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.