Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experienceing a slow start this year, I'm in the Boston area. Last years business exploded, but this year seems to be very slow. My advertising was even increased to new towns just seems like no one wants to do any renovations. Phone just is not ringing.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Hey Aaron count your blessings. I know of one large residential roofer in Chicago that's having a hard time. As for me I had to cut my advertising and I am hiring more people to help with sales.

Funny thing is I am getting more window leads and sales than I am roofing.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Oh, I know im blessed. The Lord always blesses me, and I do not deserve it. I am grateful, though. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
A-1 ,
where you from?
I'm here in northern ny on the canadian border ,SLOW START how about slow death, I've been in buisness for 12 years and this winter has put me under. Economic conditions in the area have forced me to make some changes. take a step back to get back on my feet again . I've signed on with an international labor pool company, I=m going to florida for a while and then who knows whre

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
sawdusted said:
A-1 ,
where you from?
I'm here in northern ny on the canadian border ,SLOW START how about slow death, I've been in buisness for 12 years and this winter has put me under. Economic conditions in the area have forced me to make some changes. take a step back to get back on my feet again . I've signed on with an international labor pool company, I=m going to florida for a while and then who knows whre
That's NY for you. I just came back from a visit to my hometown back there in upstate. 10% sales tax now! It was a nice place to visit but it all reminded me pretty quickly why I left. Driving around I marvelled at all the nice houses with broken and run down porches, eaves, roofs... the contrast was like night and day, reminded me that back east people fix something only when it is so broken it can't be used anymore, the words preventative maintenance I believe are not in the vocabulary.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
High taxes is inevitable in such Democratic states as NY and IL. No fiscal responsibility on the left. They think raising taxes is the solution for the money problems.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks now ya tell me , ha ha ....I've been in the trades since 76 I don't mind starting over if thats what it takes. Any suggestions after I get my feet back on the ground.
Dan

J

·
0 Posts
Im a siding company out in boston area. I to have been very slow,and almost went under this winter.I talK to a about a dozen contractors that are freinds and they all are experiencing a slow time since the begining of winter.They are new and old companys and in every aspect of the buisness. I even heard the local unions arent hiring workers cause there isnt enough for there regular workers still on lay off. I read a report that nation wide that march and april have the lowest number of ground breaking permits for new homes since something like 1997. On the chart in the past 10 years or so then and now where the lowest. But rates are at a all time low for morgages I hear .

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I'm in central Jersey, - - plenty busy around here, - - I don't advertise, - - and rarely even pick up the phone anymore, - - yet can't even seem to get a day off, - - not complainin' though, - - get it while it's there, right?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
sawdusted, let me know when you get here. The labor pool is used up. Property values went up 39% last year, that's a whole bunch of fixin' to be done. Average home value is now $283K.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
sawdusted, let me know when you get here. The labor pool is used up. Property values went up 39% last year, that's a whole bunch of fixin' to be done. Average home value is now $283K.
Tetor,
I thought I'd be there by now, some delays the company is out of halifax setting up an office in fort myers. homes in this area start in the teens and high end in 250,000 range, most 60 to 100 avg.if things keep up the way they are everything in town will be for sale. I'll let you know when everythings been finalized .I can't wait to get building again!!!
Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts