Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I mostly do commercial carpentry focusing on metal framing sheet-rocking and acoustical ceiling. With the occasional finish work at my bosses house and side jobs. Im fairly new to this site and noticed that this section of the forum is very slow. So i thought it would be a good way to get everyone talking if we all posted what we do in commercial construction. Or anything else interesting.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I pressure washed a parking lot today on a commercial building, next I have some graffiti to clean up around it. I don't do commercial work very often, my last large one was an airport hanger I did about a year ago.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
We just finished a nursing home kitchen installing frp

Same nursing home, finished yesterday working on sealing up some penetrations in fire walls.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am just finishing up a tenant build out a lot of demo only two offices built up and some drop ceiling repair thought I had some photos of demo but guess not.

image-1319417352.jpg

image-921378291.jpg

·
Registered
417 Posts
Today we starting dropping tile on a 2 floor TI buildout in LA ... Oh and I argued with the architect on an asinine compression strut detail had to inform him we just finished his office for another GC and what he detailed on this project is plain stupid

ML

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't remember the last time I got a set of plans that had some aspect that either was completely useless or just flat out wrong. It's like architects have no sense of building but some how make the plans.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,780 Posts
Today we starting dropping tile on a 2 floor TI buildout in LA ... Oh and I argued with the architect on an asinine compression strut detail had to inform him we just finished his office for another GC and what he detailed on this project is plain stupid

ML
Could you post what his detail looked like?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Could you post what his detail looked like?

Here you go. Keep in mind this is a T.I. project not a hospital or school. Deck height about ceiling is less than 5'. we typical use 3/4" 16 GA- CRC and shoot it to the deck.
Instead the Archy wants a 6" floor flange attached to the deck in 3 places and through bolted through the flange and to the grid.
For wires he wants Hilti TZ anchors in lieu of standard shot pin and clip.
I have been doing ceiling for 21 years and have installed several million SF and have never seen a detail like this.

ML

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know too much about over in California but that looks really unnecessary is it in an earth quake resistant building or something. Because we usually do it the way you said shoot to the deck or hang it from the bar joist. This is in New Jersey though.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I wish we have so much seismic stuff it makes every ceiling take twice as long. Expansion joints seismic clips at perimeter compression struts seismic wires you name it

ML

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've just recently started doing commercial work since this summer. Started with a major remodel of a former garage/fuel station to a restaurant and winery. Then I took a new position with a contractor that primarily does maintenance, painting and EPDM roofs.

In the last few months I've painted a Walmart, interior and exterior, and worked in over 2 dozen malls across the nation remodeling and fitting out a national retail chain. With all of my experience prior to this in residential, it's been an awesome journey both traveling and learning new skills.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I do all phases of interior systems construction, with the occasional exterior framing and a little concrete work. Most of my work consists of metal studs and drywall, acoustical ceilings, case work, architectural millwork, doors and door hardware, FRP, you name it and if it involves carpentry I have probably done it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts