Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many slow closing hinges is recommended for a normal door (Merillat nothing really heavy) Will one work with another self closing hinge or do you need two slow closing hinges. Going to use Blum Blue Motion hinges....

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'll preface by saying I don't build custom cabinets myself, so take my reply for what it's worth. The semi-custom companies, KraftMaid, Diamond, and the like, put all slow close on every hinge, whether it's two hinges or 4. I think this is for balance, so you don't have one hinge pulling harder than another. However, I have seen the add on slow close plungers, which are separate from the hinges, with just one per door, be it a door with 2 hinges or 4.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I've always used two of the same .Never had a reason to try them amy other way.I usually use the Blum hinges and have been pleased with them for years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
it depends on the width and weight of the door and the type of soft close hinge. The manufacturer should have the info on how to determine the hinge needed. That being said one Blumotion hinge will probably be enough for a light door adding two will just make it close slower. Grass makes a euro cup hinge that the soft close device is tucked into the cup part and two of them on a light door will make it close REALLY SLOW but their resistance is also adjustable.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,583 Posts
I use them all the time. I use one slow close hinge on a normal sized upper or lower door. If the door requires 3 hinges I use 2 slow close hinges.

With the Blum blumotion hinges there is a switch on them that you can turn the slow close on or off.

With 2 hinges the door has a very noticeable delay. With one hinge the door has a nice quick close that is slightly delayed. Enough so it doesn't make much noise when the door contacts the cabinet. It's nearly silent with 2 hinges.

I don't like how long it takes with 2 hinges for the door to completely close. Personal choice.

·
Always Learning
8,720 Posts
Our latest kitchen had them on all hinges. They were slow, but there was an adjustment on each hinge. You had slow, medium and off. You could get them dialed in pretty quick. They were Blums.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After trying just one, I have come to the conclusion you definitely need two. With one it just takes to long to close, and larger/heavenlier doors just take forever. :thumbsup:

·
Always Learning
8,720 Posts
After trying just one, I have come to the conclusion you definitely need two. With one it just takes to long to close, and larger/heavenlier doors just take forever. :thumbsup:
Is there an adjustment? I don't think two will make it close any faster.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts