Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm interested in using a slot channel, not sure on the look but coud be OK. It is called Duraslot. Does anyone have any experience using it? i'm concerned the slot might be a bit under engineered and may not last long?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Looks like a good product, but like all of them, proper installation is what matters. I've seen a similar product using a galvanized steel slot welded to corregated metal pipe storm drain.

There are numerous forms of trench drains, all achieving the same result.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
afn said:
i'm interested in using a slot channel, not sure on the look but coud be OK. It is called Duraslot. Does anyone have any experience using it? i'm concerned the slot might be a bit under engineered and may not last long?
ADS is a solid, forward thinking, company with typically good products. This product is no doubt intended to compete with the corrugated metal product mentioned above. Whether or not this particular product is the best for you has much to do with the intended application. I can tell you that with this type of slot drain (slot incorporated into pipe) that the concrete backfill is the largest part of the 'structure'. I'm guessing that the ADS product is costlier than a similarly sized corrugated metal pipe structure - the benefit being HDPE's non-corrosiveness and N-12's lower coefficient of roughness (smooth bore). One key to keeping a slot drain operational is designing it with sufficient enough slope that debris will wash clear rather than accumulate.
If your application is light duty, there are better products.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yep, if it is residential drainage in front of a garage, you may have more economical options. Just keep in mind access to maintaining the drain. The owner may need to remove the drain cover to clean the trench, be it a pre-fabbed system or a slot to drain pipe. BTW, if you choose a slot to drain pipe, ensure that you have a poured invert in the pipe which lessens maintainence.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts