Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished building a new metal shop building and am looking for a source for sliding door tracks (for a large drive in exterior metal door). Straight tracks are not what I'm after ..they are every where. I need tracks that will shift the door inside the opening where it is flush with the exterior, when closed.

I haven't seen any of these in a while...had them on a shop my father worked out of when I was a kid. It was easy to seal and lock.

Any idea on a source for this....or are they just not available anymore?

Best regards...Stan M.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the post Kevin..

I don't see anyrhing but straight box track ...am I missing it somewhere?

Thanks ..Stan

.......Let me look at your edited post . I didn't see that til after my last entry.

Stan...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again Kevin,

I don't see anything on that site either ...that doesn't mean they can't get it though. Seems like that's the case with most of the sites I have visited. Not a good sign...looks like this would be easier to find unless they just don't sell many of them.

Easy to see why, if that's the case. You can't find them to buy them. Many folks don't even know such a thing exist...or was ever used much. Most are forced to hang a door on a straight track on the outside wall of the building. Thereby limiting sealing and lockability advantages.

Stan..

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Why not an OH? You'll loose the use of that inside wall with a slider..

Sounds like a custom job for a custom fabricator:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not an OH? You'll loose the use of that inside wall with a slider..

Sounds like a custom job for a custom fabricator:thumbsup:

Custom Fabrication...hmmmm I guess that be me ( Stan's Customs)

The ceiling is low...as in paint booth config. sorta like a continuing slope from the main shop area (roof extension). This was done because of tree canopies to shade the building. In Texas heat that makes cooling a metal building remotely possible...

No room for a roll up door...wouldn't want one for this anyay...to hard to seal. Can't use swing out doors in a traditional paint booth config because of sloped drive entry from higher ground. (yes there is a grated drain in front of the opening to shed rain runoff).

The slide door slides open on a outside end wall..main shop doors are on the front side of the building with the paint room door on the side rear(35 feet back from the front)

I just thought I might actually be able to buy ready made hardware (don't know why, I have to make everything else it seems)...

I know my father's shop door hardware was not fabbed up. I just doesn't pay much to spend the time making the stuff (if you know what I mean?)...and I need the room asap for something that does pay well.

Best regards...Stan

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,215 Posts
I'm really sorry I have no help for you, but I'd appreciate it if you'd post the info if you do wind up finding the hardware. I have someone who'd like that, but not enough to pay for custom fab.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are talking about the way a van door works?
Yep...there you go, good description..

I've been thinking on a custom fab....looks like all it would take ais a "L" shaped roller/hanger rod (part connected to the rollers and attached to the door top), that pivots in when it hits a stop on the track. The door would have to not open all the way...maybe a foot from it.

The door could pivot inward/outward with a little push/pull to move in/out of the opening, by pivoting the "L" bracket....I think? Still using an outside mounted straight track....?

Stan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts