Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting tires at Discount Tire and struck up a conversation with a plumber (he was getting tires for his van). I asked him what he thought about Pex and installing it in an attic. He expressed concern about mice and rats eating into it.

Is this a legitimate concern?

What do you think of "sleeving" Pex with something like electrical conduit (for the large radius bends) where this could be an issue?

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
I was getting tires at Discount Tire and struck up a conversation with a plumber (he was getting tires for his van). I asked him what he thought about Pex and installing it in an attic. He expressed concern about mice and rats eating into it.

Is this a legitimate concern?

What do you think of "sleeving" Pex with something like electrical conduit (for the large radius bends) where this could be an issue?
I've fixed one mouse cut in PEX. It was an old farm house. It happens.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,216 Posts
I have it on good authority (from a mouse I know) that if you give them more palatable stuff to chew on, they'll leave the Pex alone. :whistling:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Go ahead and run it in the attick if its conditioned space (or it doesn't freeze in your area). Mostly mice will try to get from room to room by chewing pex to get to the hole in the wall.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have had to make several repairs were mice have chewed through pex, apparently they chew it so they can get past and through the same hole and not because they like eating it particularly.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
If you are going to go the expense of sleeving it wouldn't running rodent proof pipe make more sense?

·
Registered
819 Posts
ive heard this mouse/pex story for years.....never seen it happen once

im sure it happens somewhere, but I wouldn't worry about it

urban legend

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have seen rodent activity on PEX pipes, dishwasher drain hoses, dishwasher supply lines, and washer pressure hoses.

So yes they will crew through PEX pipe with relative ease.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts