Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gutting my bathroom and I ran into newspapers from the early 50's between the sleepers and the 1 x 6's. Fun reading the ads from when I was just starting grade school. I have run into this in the past on occasion doing hvac in older homes.

My only guess is that they were laid down before the sleepers nailed in as some sort of draft barrier? The house has a full basement. Certainly not a vapor barrier but the whole floor was sheeted over with them just a page or two thick.

Any ideas as to the old timers intent?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I found newspapers from 1892 in a house between floorboards. I think they were out there to keep the floor from squeaking.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I worked in a house built around early 1700's and pulled a floorboard with old papers back from then and a board with a person name and date on the back cut into with a knife. It used to be a kids home back then and it amazed me that the board had never been pulled up since then and that kid was long gone. Strange feeling seeing that.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I always thought that papers were used for insulation/draft stops because there wasn't anything else. A relatively short time ago was the great depression in this country and if you speak with people from that era, you'll probably find out that they always looked forward to getting the sears catalog. They didn't use it to buy things, they used it for toilet paper. You crumple up the page a few times to soften it. Pretty interesting times and people.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts