Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am currently Rehabbing a home that has a slate roof, It looks very bad but does not leak that I can find. It was laid over cedar shingles, was this common? There are alot of lose slates and no drip edge or gutters and has caused damage to the trim and that will need to be repaired. My question is: Is this repairable? Can drip edge be added the the existing slate? Or should I have it removed and install shingles? How much would it cost to remove and install? Any Info on this would be great!

Thanks

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Oh you made my cringe when you said laid over shingles. Why would anyone do that?!

The drip edge can be added but the slates at the overhang will probably need to be removed and re-installed. This is not too hard to do, but is time consuming.

If this were my house and I had the time (since I am a roofer) I would remove all the slate and save 'em then toss out the shingles and re-install the slates with proper underlayment. I don't think youa re a roofer so if you've got the cash, hire one.

A properly installed slate roof should easily last 100 years. Yes you will need periodic repairs but shouldn't have to replace it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grumpy said:
Oh you made my cringe when you said laid over shingles. Why would anyone do that?!

LOL, so i guess it wasnt common... Thanks for the reply, I am not a roofer and will be contracting it out. However I am just rehabing and selling this home and looking at all my options. I dont like the look of the slate but figured since it wasnt leaking i may be able to save it. If I was to take it off I would have them install shingles. What would you charge to remove slate and cedar and install shingles?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Even if you don't like the look of slate, slate will have a higher resale value.

Let's put it this way, when I build my home I will have nothing on the roof but slate with copper flashing.

You could be right, the "look" might not be right for the house.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You could remove the slate, sell it and go back with shingles. The price of the slate should take a large $dent out of the job.
I did one slate roof as a kid. Dad brought as much as the old station wagon would hold every evening and we would put it up at night. It was coming off of an old church. Mom went by there during the hurricanes and said that it looked the same as when it was installed 40 yrs. ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well looking over my post i failed to explain that this house was built in 1900 and the slate looks like it was added not long after...LOL.. I dont think that it is something worth putting back up or selling but maybe I am wrong... Thats why I am asking the Pro's...

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I almost said something really bad here. Dude, this is so easy! Call up a roofing company and ask them about replacing the roof. Tell them that you want to replace the old slate with new slate because you don't like the color. This will give you an idea of what the roof is worth. There are a few roofs that cost more and some of them are guilded.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Teetor,

I wasn't looking for another reply, I was just saying I didnt think of this!! I have a roofing co. coming out next thursday to look at it. I was just looking for some good advice. And thanks for not saying something really bad!!

Scott

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I guess that makes us a crowd of two Bob. I can do the island style or the Seminole/Miccosukee style that's native to FL.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm thinking Tiki hut/bar. A place to party after work!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Poolside Tiki huts are big business here. Enclosed and commercial have to be done my the Indians, some kind of job security thing when they aren't running their gambling operations and selling tax free smokes. They currently get over $40K each just for exsisting.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
A Tiki hut for your pool, no. A chickee for your restaurant, yes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts